Full-Time Lead Open Space Technician
The Lead Open Space Technician position is an excellent career opportunity for an experienced and motivated individual to enjoy the outdoors while building and maintaining trails, working on open space construction projects, and providing technical and functional supervision to assigned staff on open space preserves. The ideal candidate will have strong leadership and communication skills, experienced in a broad range of construction, maintenance and resource management projects, and enjoys working collaboratively with others.
About Midpen: Midpen helps plants, animals and people thrive throughout the greater Santa Cruz Mountains region by preserving a greenbelt of more than 65,000 acres of public open space with 250 miles of trails in 26 extraordinary preserves, permanently protected for natural resource conservation and ecologically sensitive public enjoyment and education. Midpen is a public agency with a focused mission that guides our work, and where every employee makes an impact. If you are looking for an outstanding opportunity to contribute to the legacy of open space protection, natural resource restoration and outdoor recreation, working with an incredible team of like-minded colleagues, we invite you to apply for this position! Check out the Working for Midpen video on our Employment Opportunities page.
Midpen has three vacancies for the position of Lead Open Space Technician (LOST). The start date for these positions is January 2023:
- Lead Open Space Technician in Foothills Field Office in Rancho San Antonio Preserve, Cupertino (2 vacancies)
Foothills Field Office – Address: 22500 Cristo Rey Drive, Cupertino, CA 95014
- One position is a Capital Projects Lead OST and reports to the Special Projects Maintenance Supervisor.
- The other position is a Resource Management Lead OST and reports to the Field Resource Specialist.
- Lead Open Space Technician in Skyline Field Office (SFO) near the Skyline Ridge Open Space Preserve in La Honda (1 vacancy) – this is the maintenance Lead OST and reports to the Skyline Maintenance Supervisor.
Skyline Field Office – Address: 21150 Skyline Blvd., La Honda, CA 94020
About the Position: The Lead Open Space Technician performs a wide variety of tasks in the construction, maintenance, and repair of assigned areas. Performance of the work requires the use of considerable independence, initiative, and discretion within established guidelines. Responsibilities include the inspection of District properties and facilities for construction and maintenance needs, recommending appropriate actions, leading maintenance crews and performing complex duties to ensure that District land and facilities are well maintained in order to provide the highest level of safety for public and staff use. For additional information about the Lead Open Space Technician position, see the Job Description page on our website.
Work Environment: This position is part of the Land and Facilities Services Department assigned to a primary field office and will visit other Midpen field sites. This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays. Must wear prescribed District uniform and adhere to strict safety procedures and work habits. Depending on the exposure, employee is required to wear head, hearing, eye, foot, face, hand, and full protection equipment. Employees work in the field and are exposed to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, vibration, confining workspace, chemicals, mechanical and/or electrical hazards, hazardous physical substances and fumes, and poison oak. Following onboarding and successfully meeting job performance expectations, may be eligible for the flexible work program which includes 9/80 schedules.
Education and Experience: Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade supplemented by college-level coursework in park maintenance, resource management, or a related field and three (3) years of experience in construction, maintenance, and/or repair of parks, open spaces, and/or related facilities.
Licenses & Certifications Required:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, Basic First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification within six (6) months of employment.
- Depending on assignment, possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Class B Driver’s License and required endorsements within nine (9) months of employment.
- Depending on assignment, possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Grade I Water Treatment Operator Certificate and Grade I Water Distribution Operator Certificate issued by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH).
- Depending on assignment, possession of, or ability to obtain, a California Qualified Applicators Certificate with Landscape Maintenance (Category B) for pesticide application within (12) months of employment.
Benefits: Midpen provides an excellent benefits package including health, life & disability insurance as well as CalPERS pension. Please see the Benefits page on Midpen’s website for details.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: A note to applicants who currently live outside of the San Francisco Bay Area: before committing to the application process, and if you haven’t done so already, we suggest evaluating the feasibility of relocation. We recommend researching the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area, the cost to relocate, and typical commute times to Los Altos from outlying areas.
- Ready to apply? Great! We welcome your application online here > Lead Open Space Technician | CalOpps
- (To avoid missing important email communication about this recruitment, we suggest adding [email protected] to your contacts or list of safe senders.)
- Application deadline is Sunday, October 9, 2022. Applicants with the most relevant experience and qualifications suitable for the position will be contacted for an interview.
The following application items are required to be considered*:
- Fully completed CalOpps employment application
- Cover letter
- Supplemental question responses
Recruitment Timeline: We recommend applicants be available for interviews on the following dates for panel interviews (we are unable to accommodate individual schedules):
- First interview (virtual): Thursday, October 20, 2022
- Skills Assessment (in-person): Tuesday, October 25, 2022
- Final interview (in-person): Wednesday, November 2, 2022
- Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation by contacting the Human Resources department at (650) 691-1200 or via email at [email protected].
- Put your passion for Open Space to work!