Full-Time Landscape Horticulturist
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden inspires people to value plants, garden design and the natural world by cultivating plant collections of the Allegheny Plateau and temperate regions, creating display gardens, conducting educational programs and conserving the environment.
The Landscape Horticulturist ensures that the Garden conforms to the highest standards of grounds maintenance practices by attending to the Garden’s paths, hard surfaces, turfgrass, meadow, trees and woodlands.
This position reports to the Horticulture and Facilities Director and works closely with other Garden staff members.
Essential Job Functions
• Collaborate with Horticulture and Facilities Director to develop management plans for the Garden’s landscapes including woodlands, paths, turfgrass and meadow
• Perform tree maintenance tasks e.g., tree planting, pruning and removal
• Maintain paths and remove invasive species in natural areas and along paths
• Monitor pests and diseases and apply appropriate pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers
• Operate equipment such as tractors and skid-steer loaders as well as standard garden power tools such as chainsaws, blowers, tractors and tillers
• Perform equipment maintenance on a variety of landscaping equipment (string trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, tillers, mowers, tractors, etc.)
• Participate in department documentation including records of accessions and plant care
• Motivate and lead volunteers and interns in the maintenance of gardens and landscapes
• Occasionally participate in non-horticultural projects and programs that support the Garden’s mission and development
• Perform special studies, projects and assignments as requested
• Perform snow removal and assist with weather related emergencies, e.g., storm damage
• Assist with care of livestock
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Four-year degree in horticulture or related field, or equivalent combination of training, skills and experience.
• Three to five years of experience in the field of horticulture, botanic garden experience preferred
• Knowledge and/or experience in the following areas: arboriculture, PA native plants, fruit trees, integrated pest management, and the common landscape plants of Zone 5
• Demonstrated skills in creative problem-solving and the ability to manage multiple tasks
• Ability to express ideas clearly in oral and written communications
• A passionate commitment to the mission and purpose of the Garden
• Proficient with equipment used in the landscaping trade, including larger equipment e.g., chain saw, tractor and skid steer
• Attention to details and ability to follow safety precautions and protocol at all times
• Primarily outdoor physical work in all weather conditions with occasional work at special events
• Typically, this is a 40-hour workweek position with weekend shifts on rotation. Flexible hours will be required for Garden related functions
• Must be able to traverse moderate to difficult site conditions related to Garden topography
• Ability to stand, kneel, or bend for extended periods and lift 50 pounds
• Exposure to biting/stinging insects, poisonous plants, petroleum products and horticultural chemicals
• Must possess a valid PA driver’s license and have or be willing to obtain a Pesticide Applicator’s license
How to Apply
- Email submissions only. Please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not include information in email text, but include important information for consideration in cover letter content. Do not make multiple submissions. No phone calls please.
- EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Pittsburgh Botanic Garden provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, Pittsburgh Botanic Garden complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405