Internship Intern, Climate
About the Organization
CLASP serves at the epicenter of collaborative, ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change and in the global movement for clean energy access, through appliance efficiency. Our mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world. We work hand-in-hand with governments, experts, industry, consumers, donor organizations and others to propel policies and markets toward the highest-quality, lowest resource-intensive appliances possible.
CLASP has worked in more than 100 countries since our inception in 1999. CLASP is headquartered in Washington, DC, with teams in Europe, Kenya, India, China, and Indonesia. We are missiondriven and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, collaboration, and impactful work. See our Team Page to learn more about us.
CLASP’s Climate Team
CLASP’s Climate program supports ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change through appliance and equipment energy efficiency. We work in partnership with policymakers and other key stakeholders in dozens of countries—from Brazil to Indonesia, the EU to China—with support from a diverse group of funders.
Our team provides world-class technical and policy advisory services directly to governments to develop and implement the most ambitious and cost-effective appliance efficiency policies all over the world. We accelerate the development of energy-efficient product markets through minimum energy performance standards, informative product labeling, and identification and promotion of the most efficient appliances, both on and off the grid.
Our programs are designed to maximize impacts by targeting high emitters, raising the bar through ground-breaking policies, and advancing technologies to meet sustainable development aspirations around the world.
As our global portfolio continues to grow, we are expanding our team to ensure we can assist countries to meet their climate goals and deliver ambitious energy and carbon emission reductions.
CLASP works on projects ranging from advancing the off-grid solar technologies that bring power to energy-impoverished people, to cutting the catastrophic climate impacts of commonly used appliances. During your internship, you will be part of an integrated multi-national team that is transforming global markets. You will likely contribute on several projects, gaining exposure to a range of issues and details. The exact assignment(s) will depend both on our needs and on your particular skills, expertise and interest. For reference, potential projects could include:
- Conducting online research into policies and market factors, which drive appliance energy consumption in various countries around the world
- Compiling results from CLASP’s primary research in various countries and supporting market 2 data collection to improve CLASP’s global policy modeling tools
- Conducting online research and development of materials on policy compliance
- Writing policy updates and articles based on research and supporting awareness campaigns
- Researching policy information and developing national policy profiles on standards and labels programs
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative, public policy, or related field; may be either in progress, or completed within the past 6 months
- Knowledge of and experience with qualitative research methods
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to write clearly and concisely
- Ability to synthesize data and analysis to inform strategy and recommendations. Basic experience with Excel is preferred.
- Familiarity with content management systems, e.g. Drupal is preferred.
- Professional demeanor, including ability to comport in a diverse, international work environment
- Knowledge of energy efficiency policy, the Minamata Convention, and/or the Montreal Protocol highly desirable
- Prior market and environmental policy research and analysis highly desirable
Compensation and Location
The internship will be paid at a rate of $22 per hour, before taxes. Class credit may be available and will be provided in accordance with your university’s policy. Due to COVID-19, the CLASP team is currently working from home and this position will also be remote for the time being.
How to Apply
- To Apply: To be considered for a position, interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter, at the following link: https://clasp.ent.box.com/f/06a3bceb9c994010bb736968ecaec92e
- This position will remain open until filled.
- CLASP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. CLASP complies with all federal, state and local employment law in the countries we operate and is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, disability, political affiliation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, military or protected veteran status, credit information or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. Each person is evaluated based on personal skill and merit. CLASP’s policy regarding equal employment opportunity applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, job assignments, promotions, working conditions, scheduling, benefits, wage and salary administration, disciplinary action, termination, and social, educational and recreational programs.