Full-Time Interior Civic Engagement Organizer
Join our Team! The Alaska Center Education Fund seeks a creative, compassionate and committed individual to serve as our Interior Civic Engagement Organizer. The Organizer will help strengthen voter access, security and participation in local and statewide elections and coordinate training that galvanizes individuals to advocate for environmental and democratic reforms. The ideal candidate will have high social confidence, love working with people, and growing relationships with volunteers and community leaders. The Organizer will actively collaborate with other staff on our team and an array of partners. To apply: Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. **Position open until filled**
Job Title: Interior Civic Engagement
Organizer Reports to: Advocacy Director
Status: Full-time Salary: $45,000-$50,000
DOE Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Ideal start date: January 2022
The Alaska Center Education Fund seeks a creative, compassionate and committed individual to serve as our Interior Civic Engagement Organizer. The Organizer will implement strategies to strengthen voter access, security and participation in local and statewide elections and coordinate training that galvanizes individuals to effectively advocate for environmental and democratic reforms. This position will work toward increasing the number of Alaskans over the long-term who engage in the decisions impacting their lives. The ideal candidate will have high social confidence, love working with people, and interest in growing relationships with volunteers and community leaders. The Organizer will be part of an active organizing team at The Alaska Center Education Fund and will collaborate with an array of partners. The position will ideally be based in Fairbanks or surrounding areas to be able to collaborate with our Interior Community Organizer.
The Alaska Center Education Fund envisions a thriving, just and sustainable Alaska for future generations. We engage and empower Alaskans to support clean air and water, a strong democracy, and an equitable transition from an extractive to a regenerative economy. Our issue priorities include advancing climate action, protecting salmon habitat, and amplifying Alaskan voices in the public process. We achieve our mission through youth education and leadership development, community organizing, and nonpartisan voter engagement.
We are committed to supporting, centering, and working with Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, Working-Class and Low-Income people, Women, LGBTQIA2+ people, and Disabled people in addressing the many crises that impact us. We strongly encourage people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities to apply.
● Engage interior Alaskans in advancing voting rights, access, and participation.
● Engage and mobilize voters (including new and young voters) to participate in elections.
● Support and grow a base of volunteer leaders in organizing community outreach, educational events, and voter turnout efforts.
● Work collaboratively with partner organizations across Alaska to advance shared campaigns on democracy reforms.
● Provide training, leadership development and mentorship to young voters in the interior.
● Create engaging content for social media, digital, and print platforms.
● Support fundraising for our civic engagement work through occasional grant writing and donor engagement support.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
● 1-2 years of experience in grassroots organizing, advocacy or civic engagement.
● Interest in The Alaska Center Education Fund mission and three major policy platforms: salmon and clean water, climate and clean energy, and a strong democracy.
● A true passion for building relationships and community, and demonstrated ability to meaningfully engage and galvanize Alaskans from diverse backgrounds.
● Desire to improve access to our civic process and build a healthy democracy in which all Alaskans can participate and be heard.
● Direct experience in tabling, phone banking, canvassing tactics.
● Skills and interest in supporting individuals in finding their voice, challenging themselves, and growing as leaders.
● Strong networking, relationship building, and communication skills.
● Commitment to create safe and supportive spaces for people of all backgrounds, especially from communities of color, low-income communities, and LGBTQ+ communities.
● Ability to work in collaborative teams as well as independently.
● Willingness to try creative approaches to engage people.
● Willingness to learn on the job and be flexible to changing circumstances.
● Excellent organization and planning skills.
Preferred Skills and Qualification (not required):
● Experience with Voter Action Network (VAN), EveryAction (EA) and affiliated databases.
● Experience coordinating community events.
● Experience with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Instagram) and digital media.
● Experience with Google-Suite platforms.
● Grassroots fundraising experience.
This is a full-time position based ideally in Fairbanks, Alaska. Salary is dependent on experience with a generous and competitive benefits package. All The Alaska Center Education Fund staff have access to professional development opportunities, including training.
The Alaska Center Education Fund is an equal opportunity employer. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.