Full-Time Insurance Campaign Coordinator (RAN)
Insurance Campaign Coordinator (RAN)
For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with Indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
RAN is looking for a strategic and collaborative Insurance Campaign Coordinator to join our Climate and Energy Program. In this position you will use your creative skills in pressure campaigning, grassroots organizing, coalition coordination, and communications to push some of the largest financial institutions in the world to stop fueling the climate crisis and respect human rights.
You will spend most of your time supporting, planning, and implementing strategies to get US insurance companies out of fossil fuels, working in close coordination with RAN’s other climate finance campaigners, Communications, Digital, and Organizing teams, and national and global coalitions.
Our current key campaign target is Boston-based Liberty Mutual. You will mobilize grassroots pressure and engage potential allies including the media, prospective insurance employees, and insurance policyholders. The ideal candidate will enjoy interacting with people whether internally at RAN, within a national coalition, or at street protests.
This position is full-time, with a competitive salary and excellent benefits and will work closely with and report directly to RAN’s Energy Finance Campaigner.
The position is based in the US.
Specific duties may include:
- Collaborate & support in designing and implementing strategies to get US insurance companies to stop insuring and investing in fossil fuels, with an initial focus on building pressure in Boston on Liberty Mutual;
- Develop a solid knowledge of the role of insurance companies in funding climate change, as well as the political, economic and human rights issues that relate to RAN’s climate and energy work;
- Support research to be used for crafting campaign strategy and activities;
- Develop and maintain relationships with potential and established allied groups and coalitions;
- Support in expanding RAN’s collaborative organizing into diverse constituencies and frontline communities;
- Act as a spokesperson for RAN in the media and at public events;
- Assist in facilitating training for activists in non-violent direct action, media and communication skills, and grassroots organizing;
- Work openly and cooperatively with other team members;
- Share responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.
Experience and skills required:
- Preferably experience with justice-related, environmental, or corporate/finance campaigning or organizing;
- Interest in or aptitude toward designing and implement campaign strategies;
- Understanding of non-violent direct action as both a strategy and a tactic;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong interpersonal, time management and project management skills,
- Ability to work on tight deadlines;
- Highly organized, ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced campaigning environment;
- Passionate commitment to climate justice, human and Indigenous rights;
- Understanding of the science and politics of climate protection;
- Basic understanding and interest in gaining expertise on the financial sector, and on how financial institutions, in particular insurance companies and banks, impact climate change;
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations;
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
EQUITY AND RACIAL JUSTICE
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
The target salary range is $52,000 – $54,000 for a San Francisco based position. RAN salaries are adjusted by geographic cost of labor, so the final salary would be determined on location, in addition to a candidate’s overall experience and qualifications. (Ex: hiring an employee in Green Bay, MI would result in a lower target salary range due to the geographic cost of labor)
Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer-funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff becomes eligible for a 3-month fully paid sabbatical.
How to ApplyHOW TO APPLY: The deadline to apply is 09/18/2020. Please click here to apply online. Supervisor: Energy Finance Campaigner // Status: Full-Time benefited // Location: This position is open to the US.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405