Full-Time Hydrologist/Watershed Modeler
Application Deadline: open until filled
Job Title: Hydrologist/Watershed Modeler
Location: Portland, OR (HQ)
Position Type: Permanent/full-time
Expected Start Date: ASAP
Overview: The Freshwater Trust, a non-profit leader in watershed analysis and river restoration, is seeking a watershed modeler with a background in hydrology and experience coding. This full-time position will be based in Portland, OR and will work closely with other members of the Science and Analytics Team, with members in The Freshwater Trust’s Boise, ID and Sacramento, CA offices. The Hydrologist/Watershed Modeler will work with the team to develop rigorous systems and analytical protocols to quantify ecological outcomes from land and water management choices that influence the quantity and quality of surface and groundwater.
This position requires a self-starter who is able to work in a dynamic, innovative, and fast-paced environment that emphasizes quality, analytical rigor, and critical thinking. This role is ideal for individuals with strong research and analytical skills, an interest in natural resource conservation, and a passion for using data and evidence to drive change. The position will focus on modeling, evaluation and design of water quantity and quality improvement strategies and decision-support tools to help increase the efficiency and effectiveness of restoration efforts. The Hydrologist/Watershed Modeler should have a basic understanding of complex issues associated with agricultural water use.
- Work closely with other members of the Science and Analytics Team to model land management actions related water the quantity and quality of surface and groundwater.
- Contribute hydrologic and watershed modeling expertise to the development and enhancement of the Trust’s quantitative framework for decision-making and outcome tracking.
- Apply and adapt existing models in order to assign and quantify impact and benefit values from land and water use changes.
- Use satellite imagery and other remotely sensed geospatial datasets and analytical tools to understand complex landscapes and predict future outcomes.
- Develop feedback loops so project data can be used to inform the Trust’s quantitative framework.
- Provide analytical support to flow-related monitoring and field work, including development of hydrographs, analyzing water rights/gage data, and providing technical assistance.
- Contribute to analytical deliverables and visual representation of work product.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Masters or PhD in hydrology, water resources engineering, or similar water-related science or engineering domain
- Familiarity with complex issues related to agricultural water use, particularly those specific to TFT project areas (California, Oregon, and Idaho)
- Experience designing and carrying out complex water temperature and flow analyses using large spatial datasets
- Proficiency with 2-D hydrodynamic models
- Proficiency in Python and/or R; basic understanding of SQL
- Proficiency with geospatial analysis
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in an open-office, team environment
- Problem-solver who is excited to work on highly complex problems and find creative solutions
- Understanding of the principles of data collection and analysis, statistics, and data visualization
- Strong research and analytical skills, with a focus on identifying gaps and finding solutions
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
Desirable Skills (academic or professional – not all skills are required):
- Experience building, calibrating, and running watershed models such as SWAT, and Heat Source
- Experience building, calibrating, and running groundwater and surface water flow models such as MODFLOW or HEC-RAS
- Experience using Git version control systems, such as GitHub or GitLab
- Experience automating analytical processes
- Experience applying machine learning or other statistical modeling approaches for creating predictive models
- Familiarity with Aquarius software
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Generous benefits package, inc. health coverage, paid time off (PTO), and retirement contributions
How to ApplyApplication Instructions:
- Supply a Cover Letter, Resume and a list of 3 References into a single PDF not to exceed 5MB
- Submit required information and documentation at: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/d80752790cc645e288e3213d30924718