Full-Time HVAC/Controls Maintenance Specialist
Reed College seeks a service-minded, analytical person to be our next HVAC/Controls Specialist. The HVAC/Controls Specialist is part of a Maintenance Specialist team that performs general facilities maintenance around campus to assure effective operation and use of HVAC, electrical, plumbing or mechanical systems and other facilities related furnishings, appliances and equipment. This role reports to the Maintenance Supervisor in the department of Facilities. This position will be supported with ample on the job training including access to the Limited Building Maintenance Electrician (LBME) apprenticeship.
Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays and many other campus amenities. This is a full-time, exempt role with work hours four days a week from (either Mon – Thurs or Tues – Fri) 6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a one hour unpaid lunch. Starting pay for this position is $25.00 per hour.
Who You Are
- You love tinkering with and fixing things. You have mechanical aptitude. You like working with your hands and are generally comfortable using hand tools and small power tools.
- You enjoy being part of a team where recommendations and operational changes are often implemented.
- You prefer a team environment, and you are dedicated and committed to your team. You don’t hesitate to roll up your sleeves and pitch in, even when it’s not your job showing strong comradery and accountability with your working group.
- You have at least one year of experience installing, troubleshooting or programming Digital Direct Controls (DDC) or building automated systems (BAS) and general understanding of a variety of mechanical systems.
- You are personally committed to equity and it shows in your work. You yourself contribute an important aspect of diversity to your work team.
- You are excited and interested in sustainability efforts and energy conservation in relation to heating/cooling. You would enjoy participating on a team whose focus is to reduce Reed’s carbon footprint over the next 5 years.
- You are a methodical problem solver. You enjoy troubleshooting to determine the root cause. You are curious to learn how systems are interconnected.
- You have a safety mindset and understand that safety is essential. You have experience identifying hazards in the workplace.
- Your co-workers would describe you as a friendly person and you have a service mindset. You establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, students and the public.
- You show humility. You are able to admit when you are wrong.
- You have a valid driver’s license.
What You’ll Do
- Monitor and maintain digital control system, troubleshoot problems, ensure new equipment is added to the system, sensors are calibrated, repairs are made as needed and vendor errors and omissions are logged for correction.
- Create and customize schedules, trends, reports and critical alarms using drop and drag dashboard in controls platform and create and edit equipment graphics and thermographic floor plans and convert sequence of operation into programmable logic using LogicBuilder
- Monitor systems and HVAC equipment to ensure optimal performance and best practices for balancing customer needs with energy conservation.
- Work closely with vendors and contractors when specialized expertise is needed to maintain, repair or replace HVAC equipment and controls, programming & sequence of operations. All service work provided by vendors will be validated by the HVAC specialist
- Respond to customer maintenance requests for general building and equipment repairs using a variety of hand and power tools.
Work is performed both indoors and outside with exposure to weather conditions. Physical effort may be required to lift heavy objects. May be required to work with hazardous chemicals and materials.
How to Apply
- Click here to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume is required. You can submit documents in any format, but pdf works best. As you apply online, you will be asked to provide an answer to the following: "If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?"
- Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
- Reed College replies to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405