Full-Time Houston Program Director
Houston Environmental Program Director Job Announcement
Experienced, strategically-minded activist wanted for Program Director position with Texas Campaign for the Environment (TCE) and TCE Fund, the state’s leading canvass-based environmental advocacy group. TCE’s mission is to empower Texans to fight pollution through sustained grassroots organizing campaigns that shift corporate and governmental environmental policy. TCE has been a lead organization promoting Zero Waste and its connection to climate justice, policies to improve the clean-up of toxic sites, fighting pollution from the petrochemical sector and other environmental policies through issue campaigns in Houston and statewide.
Campaign Development and Strategy – research, design and implement issue campaign strategies and tactics at the local, state and federal levels. Coordinate with allies, especially most affected communities to pressure key targeted decision-makers. Create campaign materials including reports and on-line content. Familiarity with planning and executing direct actions is crucial. Collaborate with other staff leadership to meet organizational goals.
Support Canvass Staff Development – assist the Canvass Director in training canvass staff through weekly staff briefings, one-on-one meetings and supporting leadership development. Develop materials for the canvass staff. The best tools TCE has to achieve its mission are year-round door to door and phone canvass operations.
Government Relations – engage with decision-makers through conducting communications campaigns by phone, email and letter-writing through the canvass, online tools and other community outreach. Coordinate in-person meetings and public testimony.
Community Engagement and Coalition Building – develop and strengthen relationships with allied organizations, community groups and businesses. Excellent speaking, listening and writing skills. Deliver motivating presentations, organize and train volunteers, and identify potential Board candidates.
Fundraising – help draft, edit and coordinate bi-annual direct mail fundraising efforts, foster relationships with individual donors. Organize fundraising events. Recruit volunteers to assist with peer-to-peer fundraising efforts.
Communications – develop communications plans and host press events. Develop relationships with journalists & editorial writers. Write & submit opinion pieces. Act as a spokesperson. Use social media to raise awareness and pressure targets.
Budget – assist in the development of the budget as related to the position and stay within the budget. Submit reimbursement receipts in a timely way.
This position will require engagement outside of business hours and beyond the confines of the office. Flexibility is essential.
- Minimum one year of grassroots organizing experience, with a strong preference for someone with a field and/or phone canvass management background.
- Positive, constructive team player with ability and desire to collaborate on campaigns as they evolve.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and environmental justice.
- Self-motivated, quick learner, strategic thinker with a strong work ethic and ability to handle stresses of organizing for change in the petrochemical capital of the country.
- Articulate public speaker – history of working with the media a plus.
- Strong grasp of Microsoft Windows & Office – familiarity with constituency management databases, graphic design and social media. Technical expertise with computers and software preferred.
- Able to write clearly about complex issues – experience writing for social change groups or outlets a plus.
- Successful fundraising experience – other development work (i.e. grant-writing or event planning) a plus.
- Must have personal transportation to attend meetings in Greater Houston.
Texas Campaign for the Environment/Fund is an equal opportunity employer. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications, ranging from $32,000 to $38,000. Benefits include medical/dental/vision insurance, paid sick days, holidays and generous vacation time. Some weekend and evening work is expected.
How to ApplySubmit cover letter, resume and contact information for two references via email to email@example.com by 06/10/2019.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405