Full-Time Head of Marketing
Head of Marketing
Adventure Scientists equips scientists and engineers, at the forefront of their fields, with planning and collection of large scale field data collection projects around the world. Their network of volunteers who come from the outdoor community, operate on any scale from almost anywhere on Earth. This enables scientists to ask broader questions, creates compelling storytelling opportunities, and generates connections to impact driven funders who see beyond the confines of academia.
Our Commitment to Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (EIJ)
Adventure Scientists works at the intersection of two spheres that are deeply rooted in oppression–scientific research and outdoor adventure. We are working to improve our systems so everyone will feel included, valued, and safe engaging with Adventure Scientists regardless of their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, age, past or current military service, marital status, parental status, religion, level of formal education, socio-economic status, immigration status, or other identity.
How You Will Contribute to Adventure Scientists
Adventure Scientists is looking for an experienced marketing/communications professional to join our leadership team. You will play a significant role in advancing the organization, with a particular focus on shaping the direction of Adventure Scientists’ brand and reputation with scientific partners. As the head of our marketing team, you will find creative ways to articulate and present our programs to drive broad awareness about the importance of our work, increase partner engagement, and showcase our services. You will work cross-functionally to grow and engage our global community.
If you’re a seasoned marketing leader with digital savvy, multi-channel expertise, senior leadership experience, a proven track record of driving sales, and a desire to communicate our mission as we scale globally, we’d love to talk with you. You will report to the Executive Director.
- Serve on the Senior Leadership Team to identify, craft, and execute strategic priorities for growing global NGO
- Craft and carry out the strategic direction of Adventure Scientists’ marketing efforts with a particular focus on driving sales
- Develop inclusive, unified messaging in partnership with our Head of Development
- Support other departments to achieve their goals in cultivating donor, scientific, corporate, and outdoor adventure partnerships
- Design, build, and empower a high-functioning communications team to craft and deliver compelling media content, manage public relations, and steward media partnerships
- Supervise our sales and project design teams, and grow them as needed
- Build and manage a paid Science Advisory Board
- Identify and liaise with external consultants as needed to carry out strategy
- Hold our team accountable to results and make mid-course corrections where needed
- 10+ years of experience in driving the creation and execution of complex marketing plans, ideally in scientific sales global conservation, or environmental innovation
- Experience guiding organizational strategy from a position of senior leadership
- Entrepreneurial spirit and growth mindset
- Ability to communicate complex scientific concepts in a compelling way to a wide variety of audiences
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion, and uplifting non-traditional voices in the scientific, conservation, and outdoor adventure fields
- Critical understanding of the evolving fields of science and conservation with an eye towards “One Health” concepts
- Track-record securing top-tier coverage and strong relationships with media who cover scientific discovery, innovation, outdoor adventure, and global conservation
- Excellent writing skills with ability to craft thoughtful, inclusive communications (external and internal communications, messaging, talking points, etc.)
- Proven strategic and innovative thinker that thrives in a fast-paced environment with the ability to work cross-functionally and build consensus
- A strong bias towards action
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving abilities in the field, at the office, and in life
- Experience managing and mentoring direct reports to ensure continued professional growth and development
- Desire to join and assist in the growth of a fast paced, young, dynamic nonprofit organization
Work Schedule and Compensation
This is a full-time position that we prefer is based at Adventure Scientists’ headquarters in Bozeman, MT. While there is a preference that this hire work from Bozeman, remote work will also be considered. This position may require travel throughout the year. Occasional work on weekends or at night should also be expected.
Salary for this role ranges from $110,000 to $125,000. We offer a generous and flexible benefits package, including employer-subsidized healthcare, retirement plan plus employer matching, personal and professional development fund opportunities, paid time off, paid parental leave, student loan relief, and paid powder days. Additional perks include part-time work-from-home opportunities, sabbaticals for long-tenured employees, and access to pro deals. Plus, we have a dog-friendly office, so you are invited to bring your best friend to work!
Adventure Scientists is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that aims to be the world’s greatest collector of large datasets from the field. Our scientific partners around the world use these data to address environmental and human health challenges. Our projects have ranged from amassing the largest dataset documenting global microplastic pollution to collecting scat samples to aid in identifying the genetic origins of antibiotic resistance.
How to ApplyTo Apply: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Visit the form on this page to apply. Direct questions about the application to Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need reasonable accommodations at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. Applications must include:
- Cover letter describing your background and interest in the position
- Resume (limited to two pages)
- Portfolio of 2-4 work samples that demonstrate your most effective strategic marketing efforts
- Three professional references