Part-Time Grounds and Gardens Assistant
The Newport Restoration Foundation is seeking a seasonal, part-time Grounds and Gardens Assistant. This position is 20 hours per week from March through December. Flexible schedule and 401(k).
Job Summary: The Grounds and Gardens Assistant will work with the Estate Gardener and the Grounds Crew on the maintenance of the grounds and gardens at several NRF properties, including Rough Point, Whitehorne House, Prescott Farm and 51 Touro Street.
- Perform typical gardening tasks including but not limited to planning, planting, transplanting, pruning, fertilizing, weeding, deadheading, mulching, edging, staking, amending soil, watering and organically managing pests, diseases and invasives.
- Maintain gravel driveway, walking paths and parking areas paths at Rough Point Museum and Whitehorne House by periodically adding gravel and keeping paths weed-free.
- Work with Estate Gardener and Grounds Crew as needed.
- Communicate and educate guests about the gardens and grounds.
- Provide logistical support and set up for public programs at all three NRF museum locations (i.e., Rough Point, Whitehorne House Museum, and Prescott Farm).
- Assist in audience development and research for public programming.
- Contact program participants to assess their needs and assist in their preparation as needed.
- Assist with holiday decorating at the museums.
- Other requirements as needed.
- Horticultural knowledge preferred.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions; lift and carry 50lbs. minimum; bend, stoop, climb and work from ladders.
- Personal qualities of a strong work ethic, attention to detail and ability to work efficiently.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a crew.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.