Temporary Green Iowa AmeriCorps Environmental Summer Steward
Service Description: Green Iowa AmeriCorps operates through the University of Northern Iowa’s Center for Energy and Environmental Education (UNI CEEE) in Cedar Falls. The program is looking to recruit passionate and motivated individuals for a 3-month service experience in one of our 20+ service locations throughout Iowa. As a member of our new and existing programs sites, you will have the opportunity to create plans in conjunction with city officials, nonprofit leaders and school districts, and execute projects that will greatly impact the communities we serve. The leadership and empowerment experienced as part of our program will be like no other!
Our program hopes to train the next generation of ‘green-collar’ workers through a combination of service work, presentations, and hands-on learning. Members have the opportunity to build leadership abilities through specific coordinator roles, which will allow each member to contribute their own unique skills to the program. Members have access to free trainings, hands-on skill development, and extensive community engagement.
Our mission is empowering Iowa’s communities and school districts to make more environmental, conservation-minded decisions and improvements through direct service work, environmental education, professional development opportunities, and volunteer engagement. Green Iowa AmeriCorps consists of three branches: Energy & Community, Sustainable Schools and Land & Water Stewards. Each branch of our program will provide AmeriCorps members with the unique opportunity to enhance their professional development goals, cultivate community-wide relationships, and work toward making Iowa a more sustainable, eco-nomic state.
- Energy & Community– members serve in a team-based setting providing residential energy efficiency services to underserved populations, conducting environmental education, and engaging in community service projects.
- Sustainable Schools-members serve in Iowa school districts, colleges and solid waste agencies as sustainability coordinators to reduce energy and waste, support teachers and students in environment education efforts, and create project-based learning opportunities.
- Land & Water Stewards-members create environmental education and community programming related to healthy water and land stewardship in conjunction with many local and state partners.
Program Benefits: Monthly living stipend from UNI, Segal Education Award upon successful completion, Federal Loan Deferment, Trainings and Certifications, Individualized Professional Development opportunities, Leadership experience, Public Service Loan Forgiveness Qualification, Interest Accrual Repayment
Terms: 13 week/3-month commitment; Position based on completion of 300 hours of service in a part-time work schedule (around 27-30 hours/week); flexible vacation and sick leave. Outside employment available during the off hours, school attendance available during off hours
Living Allowance: 300 hour term: $2,750.00 TOTAL (~$916.66/month) distributed monthly by UNI
Segal Education Award: 300 hour term: $1,311.11. Education Awards are contingent upon successful completion of the program.
Service Areas: Environmental Stewardship, Energy Efficiency and Reduction, Neighborhood Revitalization, Habitat Restoration, Housing, Community Engagement, Stormwater Management, Outreach Education, Community and Economic Development and Capacity Building
- At minimum members must be high school graduates, GED recipients, working on attaining a high school diploma or GED during their term of service
- Be 17 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident
- Have a valid driver’s license
How to Apply
- Interested applicants should apply via the Green Iowa AmeriCorps website: https://www.greeniowaamericorps.org/open-positions
- Applicants should also send their resume and a list of three professional references to GIACrecruitment@gmail.com with the subject line: [Name_3-month]
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405