Full-Time Grants Specialist
Who We Are:
Friends of the Earth is working for a healthier and more just world. We understand that the challenges facing our planet call for more than half measures, so we push for the reforms that are needed, not merely the ones that are politically easy. Our mission is to change the perception of the public, media, and policy makers — and effect policy change — with impactful, well-reasoned policy analysis and advocacy campaigns that truly protect people and the planet. This hard-hitting advocacy has been the key to our successful campaigns over our four-plus decades in operation. Our programs address a wide range of domestic and international issues as they relate to the environment, including but not limited to climate and energy, food and agriculture, oceans and water, economic policy, and democracy reform.
What We Look For:
Are you someone that thrives on detail, organization, and novelty? Are you passionate about communication and outreach? Do you like working with a strong team of like-minded people to reach goals and build funder relationships? If you enjoy working on projects with multiple stages and conversations to manage, we hope you will look at our Grant Outreach position – especially if development or relationship management are on your career path.
If so, then this position is for you. We are looking for a Grants Specialist who cares deeply about the pressing issues facing our planet and who views advancing Friends of the Earth’s case for funding as your mission. We want someone who is willing to do what it takes to get the job done.
We want you to succeed and we want to pay you a competitive wage that is in line with your experience. The range for this full-time remote position is $59,000-$64,000. Offers are determined based on relevant skills and experience required for the position.
- Project Management: You’re highly organized and can manage your workload while consistently tracking large numbers of external relationships with foundations. Tracking may include outreach for conversations, requests for deliverables, creating and sending campaign updates with the help of the Grant Writer and Grant Manager to current and prospective funders and more.
- Relationship Oriented: You understand that success at work relies on the quality of relationships that you build with coworkers. You’re good with people and you’re able to put them at ease to get work completed while building stronger connections. You’re excellent at building rapport with your coworkers and pride yourself on maintaining their trust.
- Writing Skills: You are comfortable with drafting outreach email content by yourself with minimal guidance. You can take technical, dry information, and make it engaging for readers.
- Attention to Detail: You’re able to produce accurate work quickly. You’re able to track conversations and relationship developments accurately to keep campaigners up to date while coordinating requests and deadlines with the Grant Manager.
- Solutions Oriented: You’re able to examine a challenge when it arises and work with the Grant Manager to develop and communicate a plan of action to overcome it.
- Proficiency with MS word and Excel: You’re able to work in Word and Excel with ease. You can update notes and spreadsheets in both formats.
If you are not currently working in a nonprofit, that’s fine. Regardless of where you come from, a commitment to our mission and the progressive movement is critical.
- A 4-year degree or at least 4 years of related work experience, preferably tracking small fundraising and outreach projects while managing multiple deadlines and working towards fundraising goals.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment requiring high attention to detail, excellent writing skills, and superb relationship management while maintaining a solutions-oriented approach.
- Experience cultivating funder relationships, tracking relationship statuses, and coming up with creative approaches to relationship cultivation.
- Prior knowledge of database maintenance. (Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge is a bonus!)
- Experience in email copywriting is a plus.
- Knowledge of or experience in technical and marketing writing.
Perks & Benefits:
We are a generous employer with benefits that will take care of you. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage (80% for eligible dependents)
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Matching effective Day 1 (3% match)
- Generous Leave (Vacation-minimum 2 weeks to start, 12 Holidays, Sick, Parental, Sabbatical and More)
- Education Reimbursement and Employee Assistance Program
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.