Full-Time Grants Officer
Grants Officer, Climate Imperative (Job Posting)
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA preferred
FULL/PART TIME: Full-time
REPORTS TO: Tiffany Woon, Grants Manager
The Grants Officer is an essential part of the Grants Team, working with team members to implement and continuously improve upon grants management policies and procedures to process upwards of 100 grants annually for Climate Imperative Foundation (CI). This position will lead efforts to ensure all grants meet compliance and quality assurance standards. Efforts will include documenting policies and procedures, developing staff training, and reviewing application and reports to meet foundation standards and IRS regulations. Additionally, this position will cross-train on grants management and team processes to ensure coverage for daily grant operations, working in partnership with a variety of stakeholders including CI leadership, Finance, and program staff.
Energy Innovation is committed to diversity, equity, & inclusion and to a transparent recruitment process that fosters belonging. Our goal is to hire and advance people regardless of race, gender, ability, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, military service, medical condition, and any other protected characteristic under local, state, or federal law. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
We are committed to an accessible application process and employee experience. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lead grantmaking compliance: identify process improvements; develop policies and procedures, trainings, and materials to ensure grant applications and reports comply with foundation standards and IRS regulations
- Educate staff on compliance and grants management procedures; develop and conduct training presentations; identify and develop tools and resources
- Stay abreast of current IRS regulations and any laws or rulings that may impact foundation grantmaking
- Oversee grant reporting and closure protocols, ensuring reports are on-track and submitted materials are compliant prior to close
- Contribute to Grants Team development, execution, and evaluation of strategic grants management plan to meet and support the needs of multiple stakeholders including CI leadership, staff, and grantees
- Conduct an extensive review of grant application materials to ensure items meet foundation standards and are compliant; advise stakeholders on grant structure and language, consulting with legal counsel as needed
- Review, draft, and finalize grant agreements, working in partnership with legal counsel, Grants Manager, and Initiative Directors to ensure new and complex grantmaking scenarios are addressed with appropriate language
- Ensure data integrity and accuracy within all grants management systems, reports, and tools
- Support general grants management processes as needed, including but not limited to, answer stakeholder questions, generate reports, provide grants status updates, share grant deadlines, and manage grants data and documents in appropriate systems
Grants Team Cross-Coverage and Support:
- Provide backup support for team projects and processes such as managing the grants inbox, responding to grant information requests, and updating grants and contract information in appropriate systems
- Contribute to the development of the Grants Team, generating and implementing ideas and materials, and managing team projects and timelines as an integral member of the team
- Special projects as needed and as assigned by the Grants Manager or COO
- Experience with developing policies and procedures for grant compliance throughout the grants lifecycle (application to reporting), preferably in a complex, multifaceted, nonprofit environment
- Advanced knowledge of IRS regulations that apply to 501(c)3 public charity and private foundation grantmaking; experience reviewing a high volume of grant applications and reports for completeness and compliant language
- Experience working with legal counsel advising program staff on grant structure, language, and budgets
- Developed and conducted trainings on grantmaking and compliance standards both 1:1 and in groups
- Strong leadership and project management skills; ability to effectively manage stakeholders through a process
- Ability to understand complex processes and procedures, and disseminate information
- Excellent communications skills: written, verbal, and digital
- Technical skills: advanced skills using Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Experience developing and using cloud-based database systems, Salesforce experience strongly preferred
- Self-motivated and entrepreneurial, but able to collaborate with team members to achieve team goals
- Team player, with a commitment to working on a diverse team, respecting cultural sensitivity and differences
- Ability to prioritize and be flexible in a fast-paced, constantly evolving, and collaborative environment
- Deep interest, passion, and commitment to reducing climate change
- A good sense of humor
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Energy Innovation provides a competitive compensation package, including a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, and a comprehensive benefits package. Benefits include:
- Up to 100% of premium paid for medical, dental and vision
- STD & LTD disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Carrot fertility and family planning benefits
- Student loan repayment assistance
- 401k retirement plan with a company match contribution
- Public transportation benefit options
- Cell phone and health/wellness reimbursement
- 14 paid holidays and four weeks of paid time off (PTO)
- Regular staff lunches and team building activities
- SF and DC office stocked with healthy snacks and beverages
- An innovative, collaborative, welcoming work culture
Climate change is governed by physical facts—about carbon sources, accumulation, impacts, and timing, and more importantly, about solutions that work. These facts must inform strategy: they show that avoiding dangerous climate change is only possible through strong policy to cut carbon, promptly, in the biggest countries.
To address these issues, Energy Innovation: Policy and Technology LLC (Energy Innovation) was established in 2012 as a clean energy and environmental policy firm to provide timely research and analysis on low-carbon energy policy options to policy makers, thought leaders, and members of the media. The Energy Innovation team has expertise in energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable urban development, technological innovation, and energy policy design. In addition to conducting policy research, Energy Innovation also works with clients to facilitate philanthropic investments into technology and advocacy that help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Energy Innovation also staffs the Climate Imperative Foundation.
Climate Imperative is focused on the most important climate policy decisions in the world and to do so equitably. Each Climate Imperative initiative targets one policy area and, by informing policy change, aims to save billions of tons of CO2e cumulatively by 2050. For each initiative, we are convening and supporting a talented, proven team of grantees, and supporting them to do whatever is needed: providing world-class technical advice, undertaking targeted communications, and/or building public support. The decisions targeted represent the largest near-term carbon abatement opportunities around the world.
How to ApplyAPPLICATION PROCEDURE: To apply please send a resume to email@example.com with “Grants Officer” in the subject line. PDF or Microsoft Word file is preferred. This position is open until filled, with an initial application deadline of 5pm on April 26, 2022.Please include the answer to these questions in the body of your email:
- Describe your experience with managing grants through the grants lifecycle from application to reporting. Please include your role, the type of grants, and what you looked for in the review process.
- Describe how you would train and engage with staff who have different experience levels on a new process.
- Why is climate change important to you?