Full-Time Government Affairs Director
Government Affairs Director for the Climate Action Campaign
The Climate Action Campaign is a highly effective, unbranded coalition of national climate, conservation, and progressive groups, state and local partners, and key allies working to protect clean air and promote action to limit climate change. The Campaign regularly partners with national and state-based groups, as well as leaders from diverse communities, to promote climate action, defend against attacks on the Clean Air Act and climate change policies, and showcase the unyielding transition to clean energy driven by state, local and federal action.
The Government Affairs Director is responsible for working closely with CAC stakeholders to develop and implement a legislative strategy to advance the campaign’s goals. The director manages the coalition’s legislative and policy work, partnering with the Senior Director of Coalition Management to lead policy decision-making and legislative efforts, as well as informing the coalition’s accountability strategy. The position works closely with various departments to integrate legislative strategy into campaign implementation and to inform the strategic communications guidance that is provided to the community. This position will supervise a Government Affairs Program Manager and manage a team of external consultants.
The Government Affairs Director will be responsible for duties including, but not limited to:
- Deftly navigate dense coalition dynamics.
- Coordinate with coalition lobbyists and external consultants to enhance campaign operations through sharing intel, managing tactical needs and assignments, and identifying necessary program adjustments.
- Coordinate with coalition lobbyists, coalition policy staff, and external consultants to develop policy strategy that supports the overall campaign goals.
- The Government Affairs Director will not engage in activities that would require s/he to register under the federal Lobbying Disclosure Act. Furthermore, s/he will not engage in 527 or electoral activities.
- Review and summarize legislation and ensure that appropriate intelligence from coalition lobbyists and external consultants is shared across organizations and within the campaign to better inform campaign strategy and implementation.
- Rapidly communicate information and facilitate information sharing i.e. strategy memos, threat landscapes, rapid response, and treatment recommendations and updates.
- Facilitate meetings where coalition lobbyists and/or policy staff convene, prepare materials, and track both due outs and progress.
- Work with the coalition groups and campaign leadership to inform and carryout campaign activity around accountability moments.
- Coordinate representation of coalition perspective at major events including symposiums, conferences, and other high-profile activities.
- At least 5-7 years of experience engaging in federal legislative, administrative advocacy, or related experience
- Possess a solid understanding of the intricacies of the legislative process
- Strong ethical standards, tact, and diplomacy skills with the ability to exercise judgment, discretion, and confidentiality
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written), including strong presentation skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and highly organized
- Demonstrated experience managing simultaneous projects, principals, staff, and consultants
- Extraordinary problem-solving skills
- Comfortable with technology and software, including experience with MS Office/Powerpoint
- Effective communicator with the ability to collaborate effectively internally and externally
- Familiarity with the environmental movement preferred
- Demonstrated strategic thinking to advance a campaign’s mission and goals
- Positive attitude and personality
- Ability to work in and adapt to a fast-moving environment; plan strategically and anticipate challenges
The Government Affairs Director reports to the Sr. Director of Coalition Management.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, generous paid time off, and 401k plan.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to economic and social justice, and do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply.