Full-Time Government Affairs Congressional Program Manager
Government Affairs Congressional Program Manager
The Climate Action Campaign (CAC) is looking for a dynamic team player who is a self-starter and is able to juggle multiple projects in support of the Government Affairs team.
In this role, you will coordinate with Government Affairs professionals at CAC and beyond, as well as staff and Members on Capitol Hill, to support and advance climate policy goals. Your project management and collaboration skills will be used to develop strategies and execute coalition advocacy tactics. You’ll also gather information, maintain consistent and clear lines of communication, and support the Government Affairs team in planning, reporting and scheduling.
Key responsibilities may include:
Advocacy and Congressional Communications Management
- Serve as the CAC liaison to the offices of key Congressional members, through regular meetings, information sharing, updates and events.
- Drive Congressional support for the CAC’s regulatory agenda, by planning activities like briefings, Member letters, and outreach. Work closely with the Deputy Director of Government Affairs, who will assist and help direct Congressional engagement on Administrative priorities.
- Support coalition engagement with Members and staff around the appropriations and nominations processes.
- Identify, propose and execute tactics to deepen engagement with key Members of Congress and their staff.
- Manage the feedback loop between Hill offices and CAC staff and partners: drive an appropriate level of intel sharing, provide messaging guidance on Member-directed events and communications, and work to ensure that CAC field and communications staff are up to date and informed on Members’ positions, priorities, and particular needs.
- Develop positive, collaborative relationships with the staff of key members of Congress.
- Support the lobby table by driving shared advocacy campaigns, which may include but is not limited to drafting strategy memos, threat landscapes, and target lists, as well as sharing information, creating agendas and material, drafting prep memos and taking notes.
- Advise and assist CAC staff and vendors in working with key Members of Congress and their staff. Support the work of CAC field, partner, and communications staff efforts by recommending messages, policies or other direction specific to Members. Develop written guidance and tracking systems where needed.
Who You Are
A successful candidate for this position is a mission-driven, hardworking, fun-loving “people person” and organizer who has/is:
- At least 2-4 years of experience working on advocacy or political campaigns, on Capitol Hill, or with advocacy nonprofit organization.
- High degree of professionalism and cultural competency in dealing with diverse groups of people.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Congress, Congressional committees, the legislative and regulatory process and oversight of the federal government by Congress, and Congressional procedure and protocol.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and with others in a cooperative, enthusiastic and friendly manner.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements with impeccable attention to detail.
- Intermediate Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Apps equivalents, and database/spreadsheet functions; knowledge of Congress Plus is preferred.
- Strong communication, writing and project management skills.
- Ability to react with appropriate levels of urgency to situations and events that require quick response or turnaround.
- Ability to complete a high volume of tasks and projects with little guidance.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability in an evolving role.
The Government Affairs Program Manager will not engage in activities that would require them to register under the federal Lobbying Disclosure Act. Furthermore, they will not engage in 527 or electoral activities.
Who We Are
The Climate Action Campaign (CAC) is a highly effective coalition of national climate, conservation, and progressive groups, state and local partners, and key allies working to protect clean air and promote action to limit climate change. CAC was instrumental in passing the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. Highlights include orchestrating hundreds of lobby meetings, thousands of field events, a multi-level, sustained communications campaign, as well as working behind the scenes and across the coalition to establish and maintain strategic direction.
The Climate Action Campaign is based in Washington D.C., not San Diego, California. Visit us online at: http://www.actonclimate.com/.
The Fine Print
This is a full-time, Exempt position. Washington, DC is the preferred location for this position, but candidates in other locations will be considered. CAC staff are currently working in a hybrid set-up. COVID vaccinations are required for onsite work. Staff will work East Coast hours regardless of their location.
The starting salary for this position begins at $55,000 and is commensurate based on experience.
The Climate Action Campaign is proud to offer:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off and paid holidays
- 401k plan with employer matching
- Monthly Technology Stipend
- Professional development opportunities
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to economic and social justice, and do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+ people, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply.