Full-Time General Manager
Death – though heart-wrenching – can be beautiful. Its rituals can be meaningful, and disposition of the body can be simple, gentle, and natural. The Recompose model provides a needed alternative to existing funeral practices, offering an authentic, participatory experience for families and a natural return to the earth for the dead.
Recompose|Seattle will be the first facility in the world to offer the service of natural organic reduction, where human bodies are converted into soil. The facility will function as a funeral home, and it will also be a place where families come to celebrate the lives of loved ones. Recompose|Seattle will set the standard for the operations of future Recompose facilities as well as function as the site for system testing, iteration, and operational improvement.
The General Manager will be responsible for all aspects of the growth of Recompose|Seattle including finance, HR, facilities, customer service, and sales. Our ideal candidate has a track record of working with early stage growth businesses, leads by supporting, is resourceful, practical, flexible, a clear communicator, an advocate for employees at all levels, is and someone who gets things done. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about our mission of transforming death care, and who has the business and analytical skills to get our first facility up and running.
The General Manager oversees the business operations of the Recompose|Seattle facility. They are responsible for designing and implementing effective business strategies, establishing policies that promote company culture and vision, and overseeing operations of the facility. The General Manager oversees resource allocation and budgeting and evaluates business performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics.
The General Manager is responsible for all aspects of the growth of Recompose|Seattle including finance, HR, facilities, customer service, and sales. They work to develop and standardize processes to improve quality and customer experience, identify efficiency improvements, and introduce appropriate systems, processes, and controls.
- Lead all internal operations of Recompose|Seattle.
- Manage and direct company operations to meet budget and other financial goals.
- Design and document replicable operating systems for Recompose|Seattle, including financial, scheduling, customer management, regulatory reporting, and pre-needs.
- Develop, establish, and direct the execution of operating policies to support overall company objectives.
- Working in partnership with the CEO and management team, create the strategic five-year plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it.
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals.
- Oversee all administrative functions, ensuring smooth daily operations
- Lead the human resource function, including:
- Recruitment, hiring, onboarding and retention
- Compensation and benefits administration
- Professional training and development
- Produce financial analytics and growth forecasts.
- Assume responsibility for timely reporting to regulatory agencies and permit compliance.
- Collaborate with colleagues to implement policies and develop improvements.
- Coach employees to optimize their capabilities and complete regular performance reviews.
- Resolve issues that may arise in a timely and professional manner.
- Comfort speaking with families, the general public, and press about Recompose.
- Outstanding ability to deal with problems, handle difficult interpersonal situations and find creative solutions.
- Strategic thinking, ability to act upon organizational mission, vision, and values.
- Empathy and interpersonal sensitivity, great listening skills.
- Resilience: ability to manage own emotions, demonstrate self-control under pressure or adversity, and practice self-care.
- Flexibility: ability to multi-task, adapt to new situations and to change focus unexpectedly.
- Commitment to working at a progressive company that explicitly works to be anti-racist, by advocating and protecting the rights of people of color and religious minorities, and feminist, by protecting the rights of women, transgender, and gender nonconforming people.
- Five years of experience managing a complex enterprise’s human resources, finances, operations and strategies through early stage growth.
- Ability to analytically break down problems into their core issues and draw conclusions as to appropriate resolutions.
- Demonstrable competence in strategic planning and business development.
- Deep experience in data analysis and performance/operation metrics.
- Demonstrated experience of ethical leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and sustain a complex budget and make business projections three years into the future (forecasting).
- Advanced computer skills—facility with MS Office products, QuickBooks, and databases.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Flexibility will be key especially in the first few years of operations. For the first few years, as we grow to capacity and hire staff, it’s likely that this exempt position will work some long weeks (~50 hours). Likewise, as we develop the on-site events programming and overall schedule, a lot of flexibility will be required. We have designed our benefits package to compensate for this expectation.
In the long run (3-5 years,) it is Recompose’s explicit goal to create an atmosphere where staff work 40-hour weeks and live/work balance doesn’t only exist but is celebrated. The General Manager will play a crucial role in creating and supporting that structure and culture.
$100,000-125,000 depending on experience, plus benefits. Position is based in Seattle, WA.