Full-Time General Manager
Bluff Country Co-op is currently accepting applications for a permanent General Manager. The process of reviewing applications will begin immediately.
Winona, MN is one of the most beautiful places in the country, nestled between wooded limestone river bluffs that rise 500 feet and the stunning mighty Mississippi River. Our small island city of 28,000 residents is rich with natural beauty, cultural opportunities, an engaged co-op ownership of over 2,000 households, and local producers of all kinds. It is a regional arts and higher education center with traditions such as the Great River Shakespeare Festival, Boats and Bluegrass, Frozen River Film Festival and the Minnesota Beethoven Festival. Winona is about two hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul and one hour from Rochester, MN. Bluff Country Co-op’s store is 10,500 square feet/6,100 square feet retail staffed by 40 employees who help to generate about $4,100,000 in annual sales. We use a “policy governance” system of leadership. General Manager duties and relationship with the governing board are detailed in our policy governance document (available on our website). The General Manager will lead the co-op so that it achieves the vision determined by our Board of Directors, as follows:
- We support sustainable, organic, local agriculture.
- We engage in collaborative relationships throughout our community.
- We educate people about food from farm to table and how our food choices affect our health, our community and the world.
- We model and promote a vibrant cooperative economic presence in our community.
- We support the principles of Fair Trade with our suppliers, employees, owners, and customers.
- We provide efficient, friendly, informed service and support the well-being of our shoppers.
- We will continue to increase the number of owners and sales in order to ensure the economic well-being of our organization. Below are specific duties of the General Manager:
- Operate within the policies authorized by the Board.
- Interact with staff in a fair and forthright manner.
- Maintain financial conditions that do not incur fiscal jeopardy or compromise Board goals and priorities.
- Provide information and monthly monitoring reports to the Board that is timely, complete, and accurate.
- Develop and operate with a financial plan that includes adequate detail and disclosed assumptions.
- Ensure that compensation and benefits reflect the integrity of all work done at the Co-op, taking into account market conditions, regional comparisons, and internal needs.
- Provide exceptional value and service to our owners and customers.
- Manage the projects that are inherent to the co-op’s current and/or future operations and goals
- demonstrated managerial experience in a retail food store, including responsibility for financial decisionmaking
- proven leadership skills and demonstrated ability to build and support teams, and create a respectful and collaborative team environment
- commitment to co-operative principles and hearing multiple perspectives as part of democratic processes
- proven communication skills (written and oral) and ability to convey information to ownership and community
- experience with management of operating, capital, and cash budgets
- demonstrated ability to interpret financial statements to others and promote transparency and accountability
- adaptability in order to engage and succeed within a competitive grocery environment
- ability to provide effective feedback and inspire others
- high level of personal integrity: trustworthy, ability to maintain confidentiality, responsible guardian of financial and proprietary information
- knowledge of natural foods industry and local and sustainable food movements
- proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and Google suite, point-of-sale systems, QuickBooks, and general office technology
- knowledge of the care and maintenance of retail/food store facilities
- experience working with a Board of Directors
- experience with Policy Governance
- experience with strategic planning and articulating and carrying out vision to meet the needs of the community and owners
- commitment to thoughtful, equity-based hiring, training, and management
- working knowledge of social media advertising and promotional activities to increase Co-op participation and membership
- commitment to diverse backgrounds and perspectives
Physical Demands and Working Environment:
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Environment: Work is performed primarily in a grocery store setting with extensive public contact and frequent interruptions.
- Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Competitive compensation package commensurate with experience; minimum salary of $40,000.
For more information, visit www.bluff.coop/careers or email [email protected].
Please send (1) a cover letter addressing the qualifications above, (2) a resume, and (3) contact information for professional references to: [email protected], or mail it to GM Search, c/o Bluff Country Co-op, 121 W 2nd Street, Winona, MN, 55987