Full-Time Fossil Finance Program Director
Global Energy Monitor seeks a Director for its Fossil Finance Program.
According to the Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change (IPCC), we have only a decade to make massive and unprecedented changes in the global economy to avoid dangerous climate change. To meet that challenge, Global Energy Monitor is creating trackers and other tools to provide detailed information on energy facilities, sponsors, and financing.
About Global Energy Monitor
Global Energy Monitor (GEM) is a network of researchers developing information for the worldwide climate and clean energy movement. Since the organization’s founding in 2007, GEM’s research has become an essential tool for activists, journalists, policy makers, and scientists. GEM’s data and reports are used and cited by organizations ranging from Greenpeace to The Wall Street Journal. GEM’s information is used by Bloomberg Terminals, the International Energy Agency, the IPCC, Climate Analytics, Carbon Tracker Initiative, and hundreds of others.
Position Summary and Duties
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Fossil Finance Program Director will guide the development of GEM’s resources on fossil finance.
Note: GEM does not have a central office; employees work from home offices and need not be based in the United States.
Specific duties include the following:
- Direct the strategic development of GEM’s work on fossil fuel finance including leading the finance component of GEM’s research on individual fossil and renewable projects, such as coal-fired power plants, oil fields, gas pipelines, and LNG terminals.
- Maintaining and updating GEM’s finance trackers for coal, gas, and oil facilities.
- Leading the development of methodologies for tracking company ownership and subsidiary chains, in order to meet the needs of all GEM’s trackers for up-to-date ownership information.
- Supervising GEM’s finance researchers.
- Writing blogs, articles, briefings, and reports summarizing research findings.
- Representing research findings at meetings, conferences, hearings, and other public events.
- Creating visual representations of findings using presentation graphics and online tools.
- Working with software developers to develop websites for presenting tracker results.
- Assisting third-party researchers in academia, NGOs, governments, and business organizations seeking to utilize GEM’s fossil finance data.
Experience and Skills
The following experience and skills are desired for this position:
- Expert understanding of energy finance and economics.
- Demonstrated analytical skills, including experience in summarizing and presenting data.
- Professional-level writing skills.
- Experience in energy/environmental research and analysis.
- Familiarity with international environmental campaigns, the environmental impacts of energy, and the global political context of energy.
- Experience in international research and collaboration.
- Project management experience.
- Strong research skills, including attention to detail, scrupulous adherence to documented fact, and resourcefulness in using online search tools.
- Familiarity with Python or R is recommended. Familiarity with visualization software such as Tableau, Flourish, or Google Data Studio is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to master additional technical skills as needed for data development and analysis.
- Commitment to social and environmental justice.
Pay and Benefits
This is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week, work-from-home position. The salary is based on experience and adjusted for cost of living by geography.
- Paid health, vision, dental insurance
- Long-term disability and worker’s compensation insurance
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with 3% employer match
- 4 weeks paid vacation, plus 18 holidays, 10 sick leave days, and other leave
- Location-based remote work stipend
- Paid 12-week sabbatical leave after five years
Equal Employment: Global Energy Monitor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment determinations at GEM are based exclusively on the needs of the organization, specific job requirements, and a candidate’s individual qualifications. These determinations are made without regard to race, ethnicity, nationality, religion or belief, age, physical, mental, and/or sensory disability, sex, orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, medical history, or military service. GEM is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Accommodations: GEM is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com
***Please be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.***
How to ApplyApplications will be considered on a rolling basis, and this listing will remain open until filled. Applicants must provide a resume, cover letter, and two examples of published work. Click here to apply for this role.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405