Full-Time Forestry Associate (Location Flexible)
Job Location: Vermont office or home/remote office location, Northeastern U.S. or Lake States.
Would you like to join a market leading international organisation that ensures responsible use of natural resources worldwide?
NEPCon (Nature, Economy and People Connected) is a non-profit organisation that works for sustainable land use and climate-friendly solutions. With 200+ staff around the world, our projects build capacity, raise awareness, conserve nature and streamline sustainability through innovation.
A recent acquisition of Rainforest Alliance’s certification unit has expanded NEPCon’s geographical coverage to include also North America, Latin America, Africa and all of Asia. Our organisation and our activities are growing, and in this context, we are looking for a Forestry Associate to be based in our Vermont office or home/remote office location in Northeastern U.S. or Lake States.
In this role, the Forestry Associate will apply their highly developed client management and quality auditing service skills. S/he works within their team to collectively provide client management and auditing services to a subset of forestry and supply chain clients in the US/Canada regions. S/he is directly involved in all aspects of forestry and supply chain certification assessments and audits including scheduling, project management, customer service, technical guidance, consultant management, quality control and acting as auditor/lead auditor. S/he manages all facets of certification and organization policy compliance while maintaining a high level of professionalism, efficiency and quality of service as measured by client satisfaction and quality/assurance monitoring and reporting metrics, and conformance with the certification standards. The Forestry Associate also acts as technical lead on specific subjects, as required.
The tasks and responsibilities related to the position are:
- Manage the execution of forestry and supply chain engagements throughout the region, including budgeting, service contracts, audit team identification, logistical planning, support to auditors, report review, coordinating peer reviews, finalizing and approving reports;
- Serve as primary client contact, lead auditor/auditor, and technical reviewer for selected assessments and audits;
- Communicate with stakeholders regarding assessment and audit status, explain NEPCon position on interpretations of standard and certification decisions;
- Provide regular progress reports on audit timelines, key performance indicators, and goal progress to supervisor;
- Develop and provide strong expertise, remain current and highly knowledgeable in standards, policies, and protocols;
- Ensure efficiency, quality control, and adherence to technical and administration certification protocols for all jobs directly under her/his responsibilities;
- Provide customer service to current and potential clients including, but not limited to, providing information about certification, market linkages, guidance on the certification process, marketing, and responding to inquiries relating to forestry certification;
- Give presentations and attend meetings, as needed, to promote NEPCon services including FSC certification;
- Contribute to developing client recruitment strategies for regional market segments, key forest landowners/managers, and forest products companies, to increase the overall competitiveness of NEPCon in the marketplace as required;
- Support the development and launch of new products and services and assist in field testing;
- Provide input for policy development and technical improvements to the certification system;
- Work closely with other NEPCon staff to ensure accuracy & consistency of standards interpretations;
- Manage specific subject area technical expertise responsibilities as required;
- Assist developing junior staff through sharing experience and providing coaching as required;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Forest Ecology or related field required; Master’s Degree a plus;
- Minimum of 5 years of field experience in forestry, forest ecology or related areas;
- Environmental management system auditor training experience preferred; Knowledge of FSC and other certification systems and NEPCon a plus;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French a plus;
- Strong computer skills (word processing, databases, spreadsheets) and presentation skills;
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking skills and attention to detail;
- Initiative, self-motivation, resourcefulness, dependability;
- Field auditing may require exposure to difficult terrain and hot, dry or cold, inclement weather
- Experience/working knowledge of forest products, agriculture and/or Sustainable Biomass projects.
- Legally able to work within Canada.
- You are a service minded, open and friendly person, who likes – and are good at – communicating with people on all levels.
- Strong customer service skills; and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- You have good planning and time management skills and an analytical approach.
- You are proactive and can think one step ahead on practicalities.
- Paying attention to details comes naturally to you – and you are good at it!
- You are a constructive team-player and have an open attitude towards other cultures, as we collaborate across borders in our organisation.
- You believe in NEPCon’s vision and mission and want to contribute to fulfilling it.
- Work time: 35 hours/week
- The position reports to our Manager, Technical Services US/Canada
- Working location: Vermont office or home/remote office location, Northeastern U.S. or Lake States.
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Legally able to work within the U.S.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible; and
- Willingness to travel up to 40% of the time throughout US and Canada and occasionally internationally.
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative international organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- All employees are members of the organisation and have the opportunity to contribute to the overall development of NEPCon through the annual General Assembly
- International training in certification services provided by NEPCon
- Potential international travel opportunities.