Full-Time Forest Manager
Baltimore Green Space is Baltimore’s environmental land trust. We promote vibrant neighborhoods and a healthy environment through land preservation, research, and community advocacy. Our vision is to be a leader and partner in ensuring that communities’ open spaces and forest patches are considered priority assets in the growth and redevelopment of Baltimore. We are looking for someone who is passionate about environmental justice and advocacy, and urban forests. A professional who seeks creative solutions to urban forest work. A self-starter, capable of managing multiple responsibilities at once, who works well within a team setting.
Reports to and works with the Executive Director to implement all BGS Forest Patch Program. Serves an integral role in supporting our mission by providing technical, educational, and outreach support to site leaders, as well as by spearheading BGS workshops and events to increase outreach. Provides ongoing support to forest patch sites, conducts forest analysis and research, offers technical assistance, helps build the forest stewardship networks, and leads regular service days. Works with the team in meeting organizational goals to increase neighborhood participation in community forest activities; and builds a network of partners supporting the forest stewardship network.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Day-to-Day Program Management
- Coordinate all aspects of the forest stewardship network
- Consult with site leaders to develop site support plans and provide ongoing technical and site support
- Develop and facilitate 12-18 environmental education events per year with support from other staff
- Develop and manage implementation of strategy for outreach to increase: involvement in forests, workshop attendance; and awareness of forest patch work
- Analyze forest areas and data on forest areas and work with scientist partners to make recommendations about forest care strategies
- Design and coordinate volunteer management strategy to support forests
- Coordinate with partner non-profit organizations to develop effective support programming for sites
- Manage a team of partner scientists to develop research protocols as needed, and to effectively support sites in implementing sustainable practices
- Bachelor’s degree in Wildlife Biology, Forestry or Forest Science, or related field
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience in field of study
- Minimum 1 years’ experience applied research working in forests or other natural area
- Familiarity with concepts in forest ecology, and wildlife management techniques.
- Working knowledge of Baltimore City history, particularly within the context of racial inequity and social justice.
- Invasive identification and control
- Willing to work towards pesticide applicators license
- Experience with online and in person presentation development and execution.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Experience with print and web communication.
- Must have transportation and be willing to work some nights and weekends.
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
- Excellent project management skills with ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet short- and long-term deadlines without sacrificing quality
- Excellent judgment, independent decision-making, and organizational skills
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Collaborative problem solving and strong work ethic
- Ability to make careful decisions that involve others
- Great interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Experience with MailChimp (or similar), WordPess, Canva, and Flickr
- Salesforce experience a plus.
- GIS experience
Compensation: $38,000-$43,000 commensurate with experience
Benefits: Access to employee health and dental benefits including substantial premium subsidy, three weeks accrued paid vacation, and paid sick leave.
How to ApplyPlease submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405