Full-Time Forest, Land & Climate Finance Campaign Organizer-Remote (Band B)
Who We Are:
Friends of the Earth-U.S., founded by David Brower in 1969, is the U.S. voice of the world’s largest federation of grassroots environmental groups, with a presence in 75 countries. Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked over the last 50 years, resulting in landmark environmental laws, precedent-setting legal victories and groundbreaking reforms of domestic and international regulatory, corporate, and financial institution policies.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth works at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy, and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment.
Deforestation is at the center of some of the planet’s most urgent, overlapping crises: the global climate emergency, unprecedented species loss, and an epidemic of violence against land and environmental defenders. Friends of the Earth’s International Forests program works to address the root causes of forest destruction and the marginalization of forest-dwelling communities by pressuring the world’s largest financial institutions to “defund deforestation;” advancing legislative and regulatory solutions; and amplifying the voices and struggles of frontline environmental human rights defenders.
What we Look For: Are you a passionate social change activist with a deep ecology vision with an international perspective? Can you mobilize people to take bold action? Are you a creative thinker, a talented communicator, and a believer in building people power to achieve large scale system change? Are you a team player with a collaborative, movement-building mindset, excellent interpersonal communication skills, and an ability to work dynamically both independently and as part of a team?
If so, this is the position for you. We want you to succeed and we want to pay you a competitive wage that is in line with your experience. The salary range for this full-time remote role is $62,000-$68,000. Offers are determined based on relevant skills and experience required for the position.
Who You Are:
Dynamic Campaigner and Organizer: Coordinate and implement storytelling, organizing and public education campaigns through events such as panel discussions, film screenings, teach-ins, and other actions. . Represent FOE in various coalitions to coordinate in organizing and mobilization of allies and partners.
Relationship Builder: Build and maintain key relationships and strategic partnerships with journalists and social media influencers. Support and foster engagement with grassroots and frontline allies around the world to inform and take part in campaign activities. Collaborate with our digital organizing and membership team to generate and carry out digital strategies to meet campaign objectives.
Strategic Research-Based Communicator: Design, develop and execute communications, outreach, and mobilization strategies to pressure financial and corporate targets to meet campaign demands around climate-critical deforestation, land grabbing, and human rights abuses. Determine the targeted audiences and channels to activate to achieve campaign goals and create campaign frames, messages, and talking points that are most compelling to those audiences.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in a similar or related role including unpaid, grassroots or lived experience. Demonstrated success in campaigning, organizing, action-planning and implementation preferably at a campaign-oriented organization.
- A passion for action on climate change, a commitment to social justice, and a sophisticated understanding of the links between land use, deforestation, climate, and human rights.
- Excellent decision-making, team building, time management, prioritization and networking skills, flexibility, and creativity.
- Experience in online and off-line community or campaign organizing, facilitation and action coordination.
- Ability to balance advocacy, public speaking, communications, and project management.
- A collaborative mindset and a track record of working with diverse groups toward common strategic ends.
- A sophisticated understanding of power and campaign strategy, and the ability to turn high-level strategy into actionable campaigns and communications plans.
- Proven ability to prepare and execute creative and effective communications strategies including earned and social media. Strong writing and editing skills, with an ability to understand and analyze complex policy issues and communicate them clearly to a wide range of audiences. This includes the public, the press, businesses, and government officials.
- Ability to travel domestically and potentially internationally (once Covid restrictions are lifted).
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel, Office, and basic Microsoft programs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to inspire trust and respect among your peers.
- Experience working in US-based organizing and movement spaces. We value lived experience and social commitment lived or from the grassroots.
- Experience working on issues of racial, economic, and/or worker justice.
- Proven project management skills including proficiency in managing budgets, delivering on timelines, coordinating plans across partners and allies.
- A background in non-violent direct action, civil disobedience, environmental justice, grassroots organizing, tactical communications, food systems and movement building.
- An understanding of international financial institutions and global agricultural supply chains (deforestation, land grabbing, regenerative agriculture).
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesia.
Perks & Benefits:
We are a generous employer with benefits that will take care of you. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage (80% for eligible dependents)
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Matching effective Day 1 (3% match)
- Generous Leave (Vacation-minimum 2 weeks to start, 12 Holidays, Sick, Parental, Sabbatical and
- Education Reimbursement and Employee Assistance Program
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.