Full-Time Forest and Wildlife Program Director
Natural Resources Council of Maine
Forests and Wildlife Program Director
The Natural Resources Council of Maine, the state’s leading environmental advocacy organization, is seeking to hire a new Forests and Wildlife Program Director. This is a senior policy position with substantial responsibilities aimed at helping protect the integrity and unique natural character of more than 10 million acres of forestland known as Maine’s North Woods. Responsibilities include advocacy before the legislature and administrative bodies, communications with the media and general public, collaboration with coalition partners, and program planning and implementation. The Program Director develops and maintains expertise on all key policy issues in NRCM’s Forest and Wildlife Program and uses this knowledge as the basis for persuasive advocacy and sound strategic and political judgment. This is full-time permanent position based at NRCM’s office in Augusta, Maine. The Program Director reports to NRCM’s Senior Director of Advocacy.
Application Process: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and at least one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will be posted until filled.
- Provide leadership for NRCM’s Forests and Wildlife Program, including policy development; program planning, management, and implementation; developing and delivering testimony and analysis of pending legislation, permit applications, and rules and regulations; public speaking and media engagement; and strategic decisions.
- Help design and implement issue campaigns that involve outreach, media, policy analysis, lobbying, public communications, and coalition-building.
- Represent NRCM on program issues to external audiences, including the Maine Legislature and administrative bodies.
- Identify and develop support from legislators, business and community members, NRCM members, and the general public
- Produce advocacy communication materials in support of the organization’s agenda
- Develop annual program plans, an annual program budget, and manage and track workplan progress and expenditures.
- Work with an internal team of colleagues on policy work, and with NRCM’s development staff on grants and fundraising strategies.
- Excellent communications and advocacy skills, including persuasive writing and strong public speaking skills.
- Law degree or graduate degree preferred.
- Commitment and passion for environmental issues and NRCM’s mission.
- At least three years professional experience, with a demonstrated record of excellence and accomplishments.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including ability to think strategically and motivate others toward common goals.
- Ability to learn policy issues quickly, and to translate complex issues in simple and persuasive terms.
- Ability to supervise staff; and provide, receive, and respond to ongoing feedback.
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies, including legislators, staff from other non-profit organizations, business leaders, NRCM members, and the general public.
- Enterprising, motivated, entrepreneurial, and undaunted.
About the Natural Resources Council of Maine
Started in 1959, the Natural Resources Council of Maine is the state’s leading environmental advocacy organization. NRCM has a strong legacy of accomplishments across a broad range of policy areas, including river restoration, protecting Maine’s North Woods, clean energy and climate advocacy, addressing plastic pollution, and much more. NRCM works statewide to improve the quality of Maine’s environment, working in coalition with other non-profit organizations, business and community leaders, elected officials, NRCM members, and the public at-large. Over the past 60 years, NRCM has led efforts to keep Maine a special place.
NRCM is based in Augusta, with a staff of 30. NRCM is committed to a positive work culture where diversity is honored and respected. The work environment is friendly, fun, cooperative, and fast-paced. Staff members need to be able to work independently and adapt to changing priorities. NRCM is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, age, ethnicity, race, religion, physical/mental ability, sexual orientation, or national origin. NRCM will provide reasonable accommodation to employees with disabilities where appropriate. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
How to ApplyInterested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and at least one writing sample to email@example.com.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405