Full-Time Food and Climate Policy Campaigner
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for four decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment.
Friends of the Earth’s Food and Agriculture program works to rapidly transition our food system to one that is regenerative, healthy and just. We seek three fundamental shifts in our food system: from industrial and chemical-intensive to ecologically regenerative; from corporate-controlled to democratically governed; and from a system that embodies the deepest inequities in our society to one that advances social justice and fulfills the needs of all eaters now and into the future. We achieve success through a systems-based approach that weaves together market change and policy advocacy supported by intersectional organizing, cutting-edge science and strategic communications.
We are seeking to hire a talented and dedicated individual to advance Friends of the Earth’s federal policy advocacy at the intersection of climate and food. This position will advance our work on climate-friendly food procurement, factory farming, and a just transition to ecologically regenerative agriculture in Congress and relevant federal agencies through direct lobbying, coalition building, and grassroots organizing.
- Cultivate strong and enduring relationships with Capitol Hill offices and relevant agency officials, lobbying them in support of legislative and regulatory priorities.
- Track, monitor, analyze, and report on federal legislation and regulations pertaining to priority issues.
- Work closely with the Organizing team in support of climate-friendly food and factory farming policy work through building and helping to facilitate broad-based coalitions; outreach to allied organizations and other stakeholders; and by mobilizing Friends of the Earth supporters and impacted communities to support policy priorities.
- Contribute to team wide strategic planning and outreach to allied organizations and impacted communities to determine legislative and regulatory priorities that advance our federal policy goals.
- Conduct research and develop reports, op-eds, briefs, factsheets, web content and other campaign materials to educate allies, opinion leaders, policymakers, the press and the public.
- Provide support for events and meetings such as petition deliveries, webinars, briefings, lobby days, etc.
- Work with our communications department to advance campaign objectives via traditional and social media, including press monitoring and drafting press releases and social media content.
- Represent Friends of the Earth in media interviews, conferences, at public events and in legislative and federal agency meetings and briefings to support campaign objectives and reach key audiences.
- Work with the Food and Agriculture Program staff and Development department to support fundraising, including contributing to foundation proposals and membership materials and cultivating relationships with donors and foundations.
- 3-5 years of experience in campaigning, organizing, policy advocacy (not necessarily environmental), and/or legislative work at the federal or state level.
- Understanding of sustainable agriculture and food systems, the intersection between food and climate, and/or the harms of the industrial agriculture system.
- A demonstrated commitment to the environment and social and racial justice.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a fast-moving and results-oriented team, with a diverse group of coalition partners, and in a changing environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Experience and familiarity with collecting, analyzing and summarizing reliable research.
- Knowledge and experience with the legislative process.
- Relationships with Capitol Hill offices and agency officials at the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Environmental Protection Agency.
- A strategic mindset that grasps opportunities in both short-term and long-term contexts and a desire to have a major impact on policy debates through hard-hitting advocacy.
- Ability to balance and successfully complete a wide range of activities including advocacy, research, communications, policy development, and organizing.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.
How to ApplyApply by using this link: https://foe.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=25
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405