Full-Time Financial Analyst, Major Gifts (Oakland, CA or Remote)
Location: Oakland, CA or Remote
The Financial Analyst, Major Gifts position supports in managing the revenue records of Major Gifts (Major Gifts refers to: Major Giving, Planned Giving, Advancement Communications & Chapter Fundraising teams; all notations of ‘Major Gifts’ refers to these subteams.) This position assists in managing daily and monthly Major Gifts accounting activities and procedures. As assigned, supports development of revenue and expense budgets and forecasts of Major Gifts. Manages quality control and data integrity for all Major Gifts revenue related activities in donor database (Salesforce). Troubleshoots operational issues in all revenue related Major Gifts records. This role assists in administering the day-to-day operations of Office of Advancement’s Major Gifts programs including managing expense and invoice functions for Major Gifts. Works with Club Finance, Advancement and IT staff as needed for maintaining accurate donor revenue records in Salesforce.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Salesforce (CORE)/Systems Management: Performs quality control on financial and coding aspects of Major Gifts revenue to ensure integrity of revenue data in systems, including troubleshooting financial CORE questions and concerns. Ensures that proposals entered in CORE exactly match their corresponding donation(s) for accurate revenue reporting. Manages/maintains accuracy of previous years’ CORE snapshots (including forecasts and budget). Train/educate staff (especially regional assistants) on best practices for accurately maintaining proposals to match donations.
- Expense Management: Manages Major Gifts invoices and expenses, including oversight of expense coding and approvals. Coordinates the compilation of budget and actual expenses into financial models/spreadsheets to send out to staff monthly or as needed. Works closely with outside vendors and business partners on accounting matters. Assists in monitoring, tracking, and resolving discrepancies of cash receipts and monthly expenses for accuracy. This includes Netsuite journals and accruals as needed.
- Revenue/Donation Management: Tracks and sends donor acknowledgements for $5k+ C4 gifts received via OoA fundraising within a week or less of donation receipt. Provides form and coding (when needed) to Member Care staff for C4 $5K+ donations to be deposited to Finance. Assists with donation coding change requests and approvals, as needed, in CORE. Presents Summit Circle donations to necessary staff for approval by Deputy Chief Advancement Officer. Assists in monitoring, tracking, and resolving discrepancies in monthly revenue reports.
- Budget and Forecast Support Role: As assigned, supports creation of seasonal Major Gifts revenue and expense budget and forecasts. Monitors and tracks financial data for forecasts. Prepares support documents for forecast meetings (revenue reports and expense worksheets) as needed.
- General support for Major Gifts Department: Receives Major gifts general emails and responds or routes to other staff as needed. Financial point person for year end Major Gifts matters. Tracks year end incoming donations and stock donations. Assists Director of Finance and Administration, Major Gifts in process improvement projects. Completes special projects as assigned by supervisor; performs miscellaneous operations duties as assigned. Assists Director of Finance and Administration, Major Gifts in preparing the annual top donor report for Chief Advancement Officer.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Previous experience in finance, accounting or related fields, with sound knowledge of GAAP
- Intermediate to advanced skill level in Excel including: formulas, pivot tables, sorting, and the exporting/formatting of data; proficient with other Microsoft Office applications (i.e. Word)
- Strong attention to detail, analytical and statistical skills. Excellent analytic, written and verbal communication, and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of fundraising databases, especially experience with Salesforce platform.
- Able to meet monthly, regular and requested deadlines.
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Demonstrated ability to accurately work in database systems, including designing and producing revenue reports.
- Experience with Netsuite.
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or related field; OR 3-4 years experience in accounting, finance, database management or fund development.
- Ability to use tact, diplomacy and discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $66,000 – $73,000.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union or Sierra Employee Alliance, depending on location.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.