Full-Time Finance and Benefits Manager
Co-founded in 2005 by Robert Redford and his son James Redford, The Redford Center uses the power of storytelling to galvanize environmental justice and regeneration. Our cross-cutting programs support environmental storytellers and invest in impact-driven narrative strategies. By amplifying and changing the conversations around environmentalism, we aim to engage a much broader and more diverse population in the movement.
Over the years, The Redford Center has produced three award-winning feature documentaries and over 30 short films, supported 75+ film and media projects with grants and other services, inspired over 400 student films, and dispersed more than $8 million to our fiscally sponsored projects. Our films activate real change – we have engaged millions of viewers across all 50 states and 45 countries, inspiring hope and generating demand for a world where human and planetary health are fundamental values driving action. Our impact campaigns have halted the construction of dirty coal plants, reconnected the Colorado River to the Sea of Cortez, and helped accelerate the clean energy revolution in America.
The majority of our diverse film portfolio is made by or about women leading the environmental and climate justice movement, and our growing network of 400+ environmentally engaged storytellers also represent youth, communities of color, and LBGTQ+ communities, who are among the groups historically underrepresented in media and the environmental movement, and who are often among those leading progress on the ground and enacting the solutions needed to safeguard humanity and our planet.
As we move to meet the urgency of the times, we are looking for team members who are nimble, excited to help shape a growing organization, and who are energized about our mission of environmental impact using storytelling.
Finance and Benefits Manager
The Finance and Benefits Manager is responsible for the financial management of The Redford Center and will lead the organization’s day-to-day financial management including: bookkeeping, auditing and compliance, financial reporting and analysis, HR compliance, and benefits management and administration. The candidate should have experience with the accounting and financial statements of non-profit organizations with at least $2-3 million annual operating budget. This role will support our growth as we continue to build new programming and partnerships (including fiscal sponsorships), and as we increase our staffing. This position will work with our Deputy Director and Director of Operations in developing stronger and more efficient financial and contractual systems, and help to manage external vendors, including auditors. This individual should value timeliness, attention to detail, and accuracy. They should be a creative thinker and problem-solver, and excited to join a mission-driven organization in the midst of an exciting period of growth.
Finance, Compliance, and Budget
• Manage financial processes across the organization and ensure accounting is timely and accurate. This includes:
o Administer accounting systems (Xero).
o Manage monthly and annual financial closing and reconciliations.
o Manage full-cycle accounts receivable and accounts payable.
o Track and enter all expenses, including project specific grant expenses as well as grants with time and/or use restrictions.
o Develop, manage, and track cash flow, and ensure adherence to reserve policy
o Track and provide periodic budget to actual reports for operations and specific programs, and restricted grant balances.
• Manage the annual IRS Form 990 filing and audit processes in collaboration with our external service providers.
• Track and administering annual federal and state legal filings to maintain incorporation and nonprofit tax-exempt status.
• Support Directors with creating and managing annual and ongoing budget and cash flow projections; including developing program budget worksheets, review of budget narratives, and financial reporting.
• Periodically review and update financial policies and procedures with Directors.
Payroll and Benefits
• Assure that staff payroll and benefits accounts are properly administered in a consistent and timely manner.
• Manage benefits accounts and insurance, including assisting directors with annual review and renewal.
• Assist with maintaining records of all employees, and administrative and management policies, procedures, and methods.
• Run bi-monthly payroll, ensure accurate timesheet tracking, and generate payroll reports as needed.
• Assist with employee onboarding and offboarding tasks.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 4 years of relevant experience in accounting, bookkeeping, and financial management, preferably in the non-profit sector.
• Prior experience managing a financial audit and familiarity with filing 990 and other state and federal forms.
• Strong understanding of accounting standards for U.S. non-profit organizations and GAAP.
• Excellent computer skills and high proficiency in all business applications (including Microsoft Suite).
• Experience with online financial platforms. Experience with Salesforce and other accounting, budget and project management software a plus (e.g. Billl.com, Xero, Asana).
• Ability to analyze and distill financial information into actionable insights for non-finance audiences.
• Strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication
• Ability to work independently, prioritize projects effectively, take initiative, demonstrate resourcefulness, and respond flexibly to changing work demands.
• Strong organizational and project management skills, time management, attention to detail, and follow-through.
• Experience with payroll and benefits administration is preferred.
• Experience with Fiscal Sponsorship programs preferred.
• A strong affinity with our mission of galvanizing environmental justice and regeneration.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position located at The Redford Center’s headquarters in The Presidio in San Francisco, California (with options to work from home during the pandemic). The salary range will be $80,000-93,000, commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience. We offer a flexible schedule and an excellent benefits package, including generous paid time off, 100% coverage of employees’ health, dental and vision insurance, commuting expense reimbursement, and participation in a 403b retirement plan.
The Redford Center strives for justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) and prioritizes these values in our organization, programming, and employment practices. JEDI is at the forefront of our strategy and culture, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, cultures, skills, and experiences, knowing that the more inclusive we are, the more successful we will be. We are an equal opportunity employer and Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and LBGTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
- Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter detailing your interest and experience to email@example.com with the subject line “Finance and Benefits Manager.”
- Hiring decisions will be made on a rolling basis, and applications are encouraged to be submitted before June 15, 2021.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405