Full-Time Farmer Services Specialist (Philadelphia, Atlanta, or Houston)
Our Vision, Mission & Growth
At The Common Market, we envision a nation composed of vibrant regional food systems- where interdependent urban and rural communities thrive through relationships that build the health and wealth of all people. Our mission is to strengthen regional farms while making the local bounty accessible to communities and the institutions that serve them. We strive to improve food security, farm viability, and community and ecological health.
We are currently serving New York City, Greater Philadelphia, Baltimore, Greater Washington, DC, Houston, Alabama and Atlanta.
The Common Market seeks a Farmer Services Specialist that will manage producer relationships and purchases of food products such as meat, eggs, dairy, seafood, fruit, vegetables and value-added goods. This is a position that will play a key role in building upon a foundation for a rapidly growing, results-driven social enterprise.
We are looking for an individual who is knowledgeable and connected to the agriculture industry in the Mid-Atlantic, South-East and/or Texas as well as highly motivated and passionate about sustainable food. This position demands an individual who is a systems thinker and possesses the professionalism to organize and negotiate terms with vendors. Success in this position requires an extremely organized individual who is able to work independently with a sense of urgency and great attention to detail. This position can be based in Philadelphia, PA; Atlanta, GA or Houston, TX.
- Develop new and manage existing farmer relationships and products to meet customer demand
- Manage product (crop) planning throughout the year to ensure consistent product availability
- Work with farmers and producers to maintain quality specifications
- Assess the production practices of farmers and communicate with The Common Market team
- Work with meat, eggs, dairy, seafood, vegetable, fruit and value-added producers
- Work with farmers and the sales team to establish fair pricing
- Adhere to The Common Market’s sustainable sourcing policies and partner with farmers to meet qualifications
- Works collaboratively with internal teams including warehouse, support, sales and marketing to ensure food quality, safety and that customer demands are met
- Experience working directly with farmers; preferably small, locally owned family farms
- Strong knowledge of sustainable agriculture and local food systems
- Knowledgeable of sustainable growing practices, including IPM, certified organic, certified humane, non-GMO. Experience with on-farm capacity building a plus.
- Knowledgeable of food safety certifications (HACCP, GAP)
- Developing ability to understand and translate sales demand to farmers and help guide crop planning to meet demand
- Experience with Microsoft Office skills (Word and Excel)
- Ability to travel up to 50%
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Flexible work hours to accommodate some evening and weekend work
- Flexible work ethic to accommodate the challenges of a food business
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
Pay commensurate with experience, starting at $47k
- 2 weeks annual PTO
- Monthly health insurance stipend
- The Common Market Farm Share – Fruit & Vegetable Share
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with 100% employer match up to 3%