Full-Time Farm Production Manager
Slow Farm in Ann Arbor, Michigan is hiring a Farm Production Manager for Spring 2022
Slow Farm is a diversified, certified organic upick farm, with a commitment to social justice and agroecology in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We are looking for a Farm Production Manager to start immediately.
This role requires the ability to safely and skillfully operate our tractors and farm implements and to improve, lead, and carry out our no-till farm planning and production goals. This is a role that will be part of the farm leadership team and will work to help us meet our annual goals and keep us in alignment with our 10 year vision.
1) Review the job description, below or at this link: https://tinyurl.com/36r7jtnu
2) Fill out the application form here: https://tinyurl.com/2ba6xy7t
3) Send your resume along with the name, phone number, email, and title of at least two relevant professional references whom we may contact to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about Slow Farm here: http://slowfarmorganic.com
SLOW FARM PRODUCTION MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION – HIRING SPRING 2022
Slow Farm (http://slowfarmorganic.com) is a certified organic U-pick farm devoted to the principles of Slow Food, agroecology, and justice in the food system. Slow Farm’s 187 acres are located in SE Michigan, 3 miles north of Ann Arbor, and include woods, native prairie and wetlands. We focus on heirloom produce and flowers, and provide an organic farm experience demonstrating biodiversity and “closed loop” practices.
Job Overview: The Production Manager has primary responsibility for planning and implementing farm operations to meet production goals and wholesale delivery targets. There are currently approximately 20 cultivated acres at Slow Farm, including 8 acres of perennial or semi-perennial crops. The Production Manager works as part of the Farm Leadership Team to plan for and implement all aspects of farm viability for the present, and put us in alignment with our ten year vision for the future.
Responsibilities include oversight of all aspects of farm production, soil health, and financial viability including: four-season crop planning and production; meeting production and delivery targets; managing pests and weeds; cover cropping; complying with food safety and organic requirements; operating and maintaining equipment; supervising farm employees; working on farm infrastructure; coordinating with other members of the team to carry out daily tasks and priorities; along with other duties as needed.
This position requires strong agricultural skills and farm management experience, skill in operating tractors and other farm implements, a passionate commitment to soil health and closed loop practices, and a focus on growing the highest quality food. This position also requires personal evolution toward equity and self-knowledge, and daily effort toward creating the best possible farm experience for our guests. NOTE: We welcome women, BIPOC, and LGBTQ applicants.
Production Manager Key Responsibilities:
- Together with leadership team, sets priorities for the farm team (which includes 6-12 FTEs and occasional volunteers) on a daily, weekly, and yearly basis. Helps to prioritize efforts and weekly labor schedules in planting, weeding, cultivating, harvesting, packing, and delivering produce according to specifications.
- Helps to develop and then carries out four-season crop and succession plans with the team to meet production and financial goals of the farm. This includes collaborating on creating and implementing propagation, succession planting, hoophouse, and field planting calendars as aspects of whole farm planting and harvesting plans.
- Point person leading design, build, and maintenance of needed infrastructure (e.g. no-till beds, propagation systems, high and low tunnels, wash/pack, fencing, coolers, high tunnels, irrigation, wash/pack, etc.)
- Operates and maintains equipment (tractors, mowers, spreaders, farm implements, etc) in good working order.
- Works in challenging physical conditions, with the ability to kneel, bend, and lift 50 pounds repeatedly and perform repetitive tasks in challenging weather.
- Identifies, measures, and controls insect and weed pests to prevent crop loss.
- Monitors and improves soil health and fertility. Develops mulching, composting, irrigation and other strategies to reduce weeds and improve farm productivity.
- Maintains the highest standards of farm and food safety and NOP requirements.
- Minimum two years of full-season farm management, with experience in optimizing farm production using organic/biodynamic principles.
- Demonstrated ability to operate our equipment safely and skillfully.
- Highest level communication skills along with commitment to and skill in working in a team environment with an anti-racist and equity lens.
- Proven leadership, and ability to prioritize, manage and complete tasks.
- Working knowledge of farm infrastructure and basic construction, carpentry, and mechanical skills.
- Current driver’s license and proven safe driving record.
- Full COVID-19 vaccination and best practices for safety on farm and at home.
- March through November, minimum 30 hours/week with weekend availability.
- $20-$30/hour depending on experience and effectiveness.
- Possible other benefits to be negotiated.
How to Apply
Fill out the application form here: https://tinyurl.com/2ba6xy7t
Then send your resume along with the name, phone number, email, and title of at least two relevant professional references whom we may contact to: email@example.com
Will be contacted for a virtual interview and then may be asked to visit the farm for a half-day working interview.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405