Full-Time Farm Manager
Who We Are:
Stahmanns Inc. is a family-owned and operated orchard, shelling, and warehouse facility in La Mesa, New Mexico. We have been committed to farming our land in the Mesilla Valley with craftsmanship, integrity, grit, and stewardship since 1925. Today we are one of the leading producers in the world, and pride ourselves in growing and processing the highest quality pecans available on the wholesale market.
Stahmanns Inc. is vertically integrated and manages all aspects of the farming, sorting, shelling, and packaging processes. For 90 years it has been our mission to produce the highest quality pecans, to continually make our business more sustainable, and to provide our clients with excellent service. We are a values-driven company and seek out the following qualities in all our team members.
What You Will Do:
We are searching for a Farm Manager to oversee our 3500-acre pecan farm in Las Cruces, NM and to plant our 1400-acre farm in Lordsburg, NM. The Farm Manager’s responsibilities include managing staff, developing and executing farming strategies, purchasing supplies, preparing budgets, using farm management software, performing and tracking experiments, working with the university, writing reports to present to CEO and ensuring maximum profit. Long-term company goals are to convert to organic within 10 years, to plant an additional 1,200 acres in Lordsburg over the next 3 years, and to convert the original acreage to a pressurized irrigation system over 15 years.
To be successful as a Farm Manager you must win the team over and be organized, creative, detail-oriented, strategic, and hard-working. Outstanding candidates are keen problem solvers who are focused on efficiency and take a hands-on approach to management.
Farm Manager Responsibilities:
- Analyzing existing operations, crops, staff, and financial documents and recommending improvements.
- Preparing plans and schedules for planting, fertilizing, harvesting, and pruning.
- Monitor the fields for proper irrigation, weed control, and pest control.
- Procuring fertilizer and agricultural chemicals.
- Oversee the Shop Manager. Make sure equipment and farm is well maintained.
- Communicating expectations to staff.
- Ensuring all staff adhere to health and safety regulations.
- Assisting with the recruitment and training of staff members.
- Collaborating with senior staff to prepare budgets and financial reports.
- Building professional networks and staying updated of developments in agricultural science.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree. Preferably in a technical field.
- Pistachio farming experience.
- Farm planting experience.
- Experience with organic conversion.
- Management experience.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
- A passion for Agriculture.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent computer skills are required.
- The ability to make decisions in stressful environments.
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills.
- Overtime will be required as with any farm job.
- Additional courses in Business Management or Administration.
- Walnut or pecan experience.
- Tree nursery experience.