Full-Time Farm Manager
Are you looking for a Colorado Farming Opportunity at the intersection of hunger relief, environmental repair, and community engagement? Ekar Farm is looking for a farmer with vision and drive to join our team as Farm Manager for the 2021 growing season!
The Ekar Farm Manager candidate is an experienced individual with strong production farming skills (organic and regenerative/restorative practices), strong interest in experiential education and a demonstrated commitment to social justice. The Manager plays an integral role in the leadership team of Ekar Farm, sharing responsibility in advancing Ekar Farm’s mission. The Manager navigates the operation of our non-profit, production and educational farm (20,000 pounds grown on an acre last season), with the equally important goal of maintaining the farm as a site for community engagement, community education, and advocacy for social justice and food systems equity. If this is right for you, you’ll already have the ability to work across and within diverse teams and multicultural communities, where understanding and appreciating differences is essential.
We’re interested in a person looking to become a key member of our small but mighty team, to fully engage and support educational agricultural operations. 4 -5 years of farm work is required, with at least one of those years in farm management. This is currently a 10-month job, with the possibility of becoming year round.
Salary range: 40,000 – 45,000 (annualized) depending on experience
Located in the heart of the neighborhood of Lowry in Denver, Ekar Farm is a 2-acre, organic practices, suburban production, education and demonstration farm. Rooted in Jewish values of social equity, justice, and inter-connectedness, this site serves as a model for connecting a multi- cultural community to the earth, and as a catalyst for economic development, hunger relief, community pride, and sustainability. Just over an acre is cultivated for annual veggies. We are guided by our mission: This communal farm is inspired by Jewish values, and we work to build community, provide experiential and environmental education, and grow sustainably produced fruits and vegetables, expanding access to those in need.
*Candidates from minority or marginalized groups or with multicultural backgrounds or experience are encouraged to apply. Ekar Farm is an equal opportunity employer. We actively foster an environment that is free of racism, discrimination, bias, and harassment; where all individuals are treated with dignity, safety and respect.
The Manager will be responsible for all aspects of daily operations of our 2-acre site ensuring production goals for donation, sale and education are achieved. This includes both annual vegetable and perennial production, including integrated pest management, water capture, storage and irrigation, and soil rebuilding. This position requires commitment to and skill with working collaboratively with people from many backgrounds, and creativity in managing the unique challenges of a farm in an urban/suburban environment, in a very dry and rapidly changing climate. The Manager will supervise up to two full time community farmers, interns and farm worker volunteers, ensure produce delivery to food pantries and other customers, and experiment with regenerative techniques in this high near-desert location. The Manager will be responsible for continuing to build healthy soil for production – serving as the steward for an environmentally, economically and socially viable farm. The Manager will collaborate with the Executive Director and Community Outreach and Program Manager to have the site support transformative, experiential educational events, program scheduling and relationship building with partner organizations.
This is a full-time, exempt employee position at 40 hours/week, and is a 10 month position (Feb – October), with a possibility of becoming year-round. This position requires some evenings and weekend work, as well as a heavier workload during the season over the off-season. Summer hours begin at sunrise and end early in the day. Farm Manager must be willing to work in all weather conditions. The annual salary range starts at $40,000.00 depending on qualifications and experience. Ekar Farm provides ongoing professional development, 2 weeks vacation, 6 days per year sick time and paid Federal and Jewish holidays. Ekar does not at this time provide employer paid group health insurance and may do so in the future, although we do provide a health benefits stipend.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Execute Ekar’s integrated plan for farm operations, collaborating with the Executive Director and Community Outreach and Program manager, and permaculture, ag and ecology consultants;
- Oversee and implement annual crop plan, with seeding, transplanting, succession planting, irrigation, weed and pest management, and harvesting schedule for the season;
- Execute a season extension plan with the existing and future hoop houses;
- Purchase seeds, supplies, tools and equipment; maintain tools & equipment;
- Manage planting, irrigating, weeding, harvesting, washing, packing and delivering produce;
- Maintain the full site for public use including invasive weed management and regular mowing and weeding, ensuring a positive experience for anyone on site;
- Track farm operations and data, including crop plans, energy and labor consumption, harvest log, germination rate, planting schedule, growth tracking, compost production and soil nutrient management soil testing, sales and donation tracking (pounds, storage, deliveries);
- Supervise farm production staff, as well as interns and volunteers working on the farm;
- Utilize sustainable organic agricultural methods, including weed and pest management and development of soil structure through composting and other organic methods; research and implement appropriate regenerative methods;
- Responsible for compliance with all city, county and state agricultural, food and safety policies;
- Be an active and articulate ambassador for Ekar Farm;
- Assist with preparation of farm reports for grant applications and reports;
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- 4-5 years annual and perennial vegetable farm experience using sustainable agriculture practices with at least one year in a management role;
- Experience working with and building relationships with a wide range of diverse or underrepresented groups and individuals, food movement experience preferred;
- Knowledge and interest in the unique and complex aspects of urban agriculture;
- Experience with organic, permaculture, biodynamic and/or intensive farming practices;
- Experience operating and maintaining tools and farm equipment including walk behind tillers, mowers, and basic tools;
- Basic carpentry skills;
- Comfort working in a fast-paced and growing organization, in all weather, from 6:30am and until 9 pm as needed during summer heat;
- Valid driver’s license, must pass Background Criminal Check, current CPR certification;
- Computer skills required to develop budgets, communicate with colleagues, use software to plan and track farm operations;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with transparency and accountability;
- Ability to work weekends and evening hours during peak growing season;
- Commitment to mission and values of Ekar Farm, including social justice and racial equity.
Preferred additional qualifications
- Interest and commitment to establish and maintain relationships with all staff, representatives of local and state agencies, other community organizations and individual community members;
- Working knowledge of organic farming standards and techniques;
- Experience in permaculture-based design;
- Working knowledge of and willingness to learn the Jewish Calendar and ancient agricultural connections to Torah
- The ability to work outdoors in all weather, including cold, hot, windy, rainy, as needed.
- The ability to operate machinery and small engines.
- The ability to lift bags and farm supplies.
To apply, send resume/bio and three reference contacts to email@example.com. The job will be open until November 30, 2020.
How to ApplyPlease email sue at ekarfarm dot org your resume and three references by November 30, 2020.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405