Full-Time Experienced Farm Manager
Our farm is a highly diversified, organically grown (non certified) operation dedicated to supplying restaurants in the San Jose area. The farm specializes in approximately 1 acre of diversified vegetables, ½ acre of orchard, and raising laying hens. It also doubles as an outdoor event venue and features a rustic banquet hall.
We are looking for an experienced Farm Manager to be responsible for keeping the grounds running at full production, 12 months out of the year, and managing close relationships with each chef at all restaurant locations. Produce must be of high quality and delivered on-time.
The Farm Manager must be creative and efficient, self-motivated, and highly organized. A successful candidate will have experience with small to medium-scale production and have a passion for growing produce. There is potential for expansion in regard to the area cultivated, the amount of chickens raised, and other side projects such as beekeeping, viticulture, etc…
Candidate will manage and operate approximately 1 acre of vegetables both in-ground and raised beds and a young, ½ acre orchard containing various stone fruit, olive trees, table grapes and citrus. Must be capable of and experienced in crop planning, greenhouse management, seeding, raising transplants, planting, cultivation, fertilizing, weeding, irrigation, harvesting and post-harvest processing. Keeping the farm looking tidy, attractive and inviting for farm venue events and tours is of high importance. Living on site (3 bed 2 bath home) is required.
- Meet with chefs and/or owners to determine desired, seasonal crops, communicating clearly and regularly
- Create an annual crop plan with regular updates for the chefs and restaurants about what is coming down the pipeline
- Ensure produce is grown, harvested, and stored for excellent taste and high-quality product
- Understand and follow naturally grown or organic production guidelines
- Estimate yield of crops ready for harvest and send a bi-weekly fresh-list
- Maintain planting, production & harvest records
- Keep beds fully planted at all times.
- Manage soil fertility (organic fertilizer, crop rotation, and compost program)
- Monitor and control pests
- Keep the grounds as weed-free as possible using hand cultivation methods
- Operate, implement and repair irrigation systems
- Manage and oversee wellness of a small flock (50) of laying hens
- Safely operate a compact tractor, BCS, utility vehicle, and riding mower
- Order seed, feed, and farm supplies in a timely manner
- Manage 1 regular crew member and additional crew members should they be necessary
- Ensure food safety standards
- Must be physically capable of working long days and lifting 50+ lbs
- Maintain a safe, clean, and organized environment for staff and visitors
- Maintain all landscape on and around designated farm areas and farm venue, promoting biodiversity by selecting pollinator and edible plants whenever possible
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and or living accommodations.
Education, Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or Associate degree in horticulture or related field preferred
- Experience working on a diversified vegetable farm required
- Minimum of one year of farm management experience required
- Previous work in greenhouse and raising seedlings required
- Experience in irrigation, and landscape maintenance
- Previous work experience with fruit orchard pruning and maintenance, including dormant spraying, fruit thinning, irrigation, pest and weed management
- Previous experience with tractor and small engine equipment operation desirable.
- Previous experience managing chickens is desirable.
- Valid California Driver’s License and a clean driving record.
Email a resume and cover letter and two farming references