Full-Time Executive Editor
Hours: Full Time (32 Hours Per Week)
Compensation: $95,000 – $105,000
Reports To: Executive Co-Director for Consumer and Corporate Engagement
Benefits: Excellent benefits including health care, dental care, paid leave, socially responsible retirement plan, friendly work environment, 4-day work week
Green America is a national nonprofit organization, with over 40 years’ experience in creating a green economy defined by social justice and inclusion, environmental sustainability and regeneration, and healing and repairing our world.
We inform people’s choices, organize consumer and investor collective action, and bring together businesses and other stakeholders to achieve system-wide change. Our work environment is results-oriented and highly collaborative and collegial.
We seek an Executive Editor who is a content expert in a broad range of environmental, social and racial justice, and green living issues, including the ability to clearly communicate complexities, nuances, and intersectionality. Our Executive Editor will work with teams and departments across the organization, the Director of Digital Communications, and the Communications Team to increase Green America’s audience digitally and in print through compelling and thoughtful content.
The Executive Editor will provide planning, direction, and oversight for Green America’s print/digital green living and consumer content and assist content experts with our programmatic and supply chain content, to ensure that Green America’s publications and websites inform and inspire members and the public to green their lives, take action for a greener world, and further the organization’s goals.
Strategic Responsibilities (30%):
- Work with Green America’s Executive Team to plan strategy and budgets, and to assure that print and digital content reflects Green America’s voice and recognizes our many stakeholders.
- Work with the Executive Team and the Communications Team in our Communications 2.0 initiative to leverage the impact of our content across platforms and the use of artificial intelligence to improve our content and reach.
- Integrate our work with consumers, small green businesses, and supply chains to create content that captures the full range of Green America’s programs and impacts and positions them within an overall framework of advancing green and just solutions.
- Work with the Membership and Development teams to strategize how our content and publications serve our organization’s donors and promote financial and membership growth.
- Work with Teams and Departments across the organization to promote Green America’s work broadly. Work with the Communications Team and experts within Green America to create and oversee content for print and digital publications and co-create with the Director of Digital Communications the strategy for Green America’s digital content on environmental, social and racial justice issues, supply chain programs, and green living and consuming.
- Working with the Director of Digital Communications, provide strategic direction for the organization’s communications to maximize audience outreach and engagement and ensure our platforms (print and online) work together to expand our organizational outreach to the public. This includes reviewing metrics together to make data-driven decisions about the creation of new content and optimal use of existing content to meet core organizational goals.
- Work with our Communications Team led by our Director of Digital Communications, Core Editorial Team, IT Director, and other stakeholders to design content management workflows that can create, edit and proof content to be published on various platforms—including print, web, and social media.
- Develop and implement the annual operating plan and budget (including ad/other revenue).
- Lead the Editorial Team and work with the Communications Team, Executive Team, and other departments to plan and create content, fact-check, and edit our print/digital publications (Green American, Your Green Life, Guide to Social Investing and Better Banking).
- Create and manage timelines, and manage staff and freelancers, to ensure that publications and online content are authoritative, approachable, and engaging and meet deadlines. Provide troubleshooting as needed.
- Work with the Editorial Team on design, layout, and images for print publications.
- Collaborate with stakeholders (Director of Digital Communications, Core Editorial Team, Campaigns Team, and Development Team) to ensure that print publications can be shared effectively in nonprint platforms like our web site, email newsletters and social media.
- Oversee the Associate Editor(s), Fellow(s), and Intern(s) to ensure high quality content for print and digital publications that is authoritative, approachable, and engaging is produced in a timely fashion.
- Engage and oversee external freelance writers to create content as needed.
- Process intern applications, hire and manage interns, and ensure they have a positive experience.
- Serve as a contact for granting reprint rights.
- Work with the Accounting Department to ensure timely payment of freelance writers, artists, and designers.
- As time permits, Editorial Team members provide copyediting, proofreading, and flag any content for legal review for content provided to Green America’s individual audience.
Online Engagement (15%)
- Ensure that content written for Green America’s publications is optimized for Green America’s digital channels and audiences. Work with Director of Digital Communications and Social Media Specialist to ensure that content is promoted out to Green America’s audiences, appeals to and brings in new audiences, and drives engagement. Work with the Communications Team to increase audience for Green America’s content online, especially to audiences identified in our JEDI work.
- Work closely with teams and departments across the organization to create engaging online content.
- Work with the Director of Digital Communications to oversee team members in managing digital publications, updating and optimizing online content, and building relationships with outside parties to increase the reach of our content.
Inter- and Cross-Departmental Teams (5%)
- Work with teams and departments across the organization to determine their communications needs, help them craft messaging to reach targeted audiences, and coordinate with the rest of the communications team and contractors to ensure our work reaches a broader audience.
- Work with other Communications Team members and technology staff to develop and maintain a content library of editorial, graphical, and photographical content consistent with Green America’s brand book
- Work with other Communications Team members to maintain the Green America style guide
- Participate in Green America Cross Departmental Teams: The success of our organizational work includes the voluntary participation of staff members from all levels of the organization in cross- departmental teams addressing a range of issues to strengthen our impact and planning, as time and other work commitments allow.
- Excellent copywriting
- Proven ability to generate persuasive print and online content
- Proven ability to write and edit for people who are just learning about this content and those who are deeply experienced.
- Knowledge of and ability to communicate the complexities and nuances inherent in social justice, climate, and environmental issues.
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite of products and how they can be used to improve our production process—from planning, writing, designing, production, reviewing, editing, copying checking, and approval.
- Editing – proven editorial skills, including strong content background, research, and language skills and the ability to adjust content to remain consistent with brand, style, and tone. Capable of writing and editing for people who are new to the content and those who are deeply experienced.
- Blogging/Online content – successful management of a blog and other online content.
- Search Engine Optimization – A demonstrated ability to drive traffic to web properties from search engines.
Please note, we recognize that experience doesn’t always look the same – skills are transferable, and passion is important. Please tell us how your experience can lead to success in this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in Marketing, Journalism, Communications, or Public Relations)
- Ten or more years’ experience in print publication content, strategy, editing, and production
- Ten or more years’ experience in digital content strategy, management, and production
- Ten or more years’ experience in project management
Green America is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination regarding: actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions, breastfeeding, or reproductive health disorders), age (18 years of age or older), marital status (including domestic partnership and parenthood), personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation, citizenship status, credit information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Harassment on the basis of a protected characteristic is included as a form of discrimination and is strictly prohibited.