Full-Time Executive Director of Climate & Sustainability
This is a mayoral-appointed management position in a challenging work environment requiring strong administrative skills to direct and coordinate resources in addressing climate and other environmental sustainability policies and practices in the City of New Haven. Special focus is on addressing the health and economic impacts of climate change on already distressed populations from COVID-19 and other factors.
This position reports directly to the Mayor and Chief of Staff and will provide a key new role in working not only with New Haven city departments, but also with community members and organizations to help manage a city-wide climate emergency and sustainability portfolio. The position may also report to other individuals in the organization as designated by the Mayor and/or Chief of Staff. The position will focus on the impact of the climate emergency not only on City operations but also the broad community in balancing the City’s shared objectives for a healthy environment, an excellent quality of life, and continued economic vitality.
Graduation from an accredited college or university; master’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Management, Public Administration, Urban Planning, Architecture or a related field preferred. Two to five years of supervisory experience in a sustainability setting are also not required but preferred. Experience with media and communications strategy is also desirable. Ability to communicate in Spanish and GIS skills are a plus but are not required.
Must also possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Familiarity with the most current concepts of conservation, climate mitigation, and sustainable practices including but not limited to: energy conservation, decarbonization, air quality, heat mitigation, climate health impacts, economic opportunities for disadvantaged communities, green building, resource and water conservation, greenhouse gas reduction, renewable resources, and environmental reporting metrics.
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment and leadership skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with public officials and personnel at differing levels of local, state, and federal government.
- Ability to exercise excellent verbal, written and spoken communication skills with public officials, individuals at all levels in the City’s organization, and with the media.
- Ability to demonstrate advanced level skills in abilities in word processing, document preparation, spreadsheet management, cost-benefit analysis and environmental project financing.
Salary Within Executive Management & Confidential Range E4: $57,188 – $85,000 annualized.
How to ApplyINSTRUCTIONS TO APPLY: In order to be considered for this title, you must apply during the posting period via the online application portal.
- Go to https://www.jobapscloud.com/oec/NewHaven/
- First-time users will click "New User Registration" and create your Applicant Profile
- Click on available job postings and Apply Online. You will need a valid, working email address to apply.
- Please note that our method of communication with applicants is by email. In the application process, please provide us with a valid email address, and ensure you monitor your email, including spam or junk, for correspondence from our department.
- If you experience technical difficulties in the online application process, please contact our office at 203-946-8252 or email NHJobs@newhavenct.gov.