Full-Time Executive Director for New Climate Organization
The Jain Family Institute (JFI) is incubating a new organization focused on encouraging asset managers to support pro-climate policies and seeks a founding Executive Director to spearhead project management, public relations, and outreach. The ideal candidate will be able to communicate complex ideas effectively to a wide variety of stakeholders, and will have a demonstrable grasp of the landscape in climate advocacy and the relevance of the financial sector in efforts to address climate change. Preference will be given to those with early-stage project management experience, whether in starting organizations of their own or growing new initiatives inside the umbrella of a larger firm. The Executive Director will lead the organization in its initial formation with logistical and strategic support from JFI and can anticipate early-stage financial support for junior and/or part-time hires.
This is a full-time position in a new entrepreneurial organization aimed to using research to leverage large-scale, transformative change. It may appeal to candidates in traditional finance, management consulting, or government service excited by the prospect of great autonomy and proximity to social change and the people who drive it: scholars, foundations and business leaders, and policymakers at every level.
JFI is an applied research organization in the social sciences. We work to bring just and equitable research and policy from conception in theory to implementation in society. Our current initiatives include applied research in higher education finance, guaranteed income, digital ethics, and macroeconomic research.
JFI is firmly committed to the principle of Equal Opportunity Opportunity (EEO). We believe that the quality of our work and research is immensely strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, disability, and more. We actively seek and welcome applicants who identify as BIPOC, women, members of the LGBTQIA community, persons with disabilities, and people at the intersection and peripheries of these identities, and from across the spectrum of disciplines. For details about our staff and current projects, see http://www.jainfamilyinstitute.org.
Salary range: $115,000-$135,000, depending on experience, with full benefits listed below
Deadline: Tuesday, April 26, with applications reviewed on a rolling basis
- Developing core strategy and mission in consultation with primary project funder and JFI senior staff
- Strategic stakeholder development and management within the spheres of climate advocacy, finance, and relevant media
- Managing partnerships with proxy advisory firms
- Managing logistics and operations, including hiring, with JFI support
- Limited fundraising
- Full-time (approx. 40 hours per week), with likely attendance at meetings, conferences, networking events required outside regular work hours
- NYC-preferred but not required
- 6+ years’ experience in a relevant field
- A firm grasp + demonstrated interest in the fields of climate advocacy and climate finance
- Project management experience, preferably including work spearheading new initiatives outside or within the umbrella of a larger organization
- Entrepreneurial mindset + ability to work autonomously with limited oversight
- Excellent communication skills and facility dealing with a variety of stakeholders, including funders and media
- BA or greater
- Employer-covered benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance
- Employer-covered NYC Metro area transit costs
- 401(k) with company match
- Unlimited PTO
- Opportunities to join conversations and events connected to JFI’s broader work, including events with scholars, policy experts, and representatives from a variety of other related organizations