Full-Time Executive Director
About the Organization:
Cascades Raptor Center connects people with the wild world by caring for raptors and educating the public about these magnificent birds. For more than 30 years, our passion has created a regional resource for rehabilitating injured raptors, and a destination for educators, wildlife supporters, and visitors to the Pacific Northwest looking for an authentic wildlife education experience.
The Raptor Center has two complementary missions: Rehabilitation and Public Education.
REHABILITATION of orphaned, sick, and injured birds, primarily birds of prey using the highest standards of medical treatment and husbandry. The Raptor Center’s goal is to return injured birds to the wild healthy and strong and ready to take their place in wild populations.
PUBLIC EDUCATION to enhance the awareness, respect, appreciation, and care of the wild world by engaging visitors of all ages. The Raptor Center’s large collection of native species of eagles, owls, hawks and more on display, along with Ambassador Raptors creates a positive, first-hand experience of wildlife. The Nature Center, which is open all year-round and our excellent educational programming reaches schools, public groups, private parties, businesses, and more.
About the Position:
After the retirement of the founder and Executive Director, Cascades Raptor Center is looking for its next Executive Director. This is a once-in-a-career opportunity to lead the premier raptor center on the West Coast during a time of expansion and growth.
Our next Executive Director will lead a strong staff with extensive experience working with and around The Raptor Center. Long-time staff include the Bird Curator, Deputy Director and Staff Veterinarian as well as ten additional employees. They bring a continuity to this work which will support the engagement of a visionary leader who understands wildlife rehabilitation, public education, and capital improvements.
Our next Executive Director will be a transformational leader who believes in servant-leadership, empowered staff and an active and engaged board of directors. The Executive Director will be a strong visionary focused on the capital campaign opportunity and the strategic plan of The Raptor Center.
As Executive Director, fundraising, internal operational management, and strategic action will be key indicators of success. Engaging the board and community in building the organization will insure another 40 years of saving raptors and educating the community.
This position divides time between internal management and external engagement. The Executive Director will lead The Raptor Center and staff leadership team to meet the goals and objectives of this thriving nonprofit while informing, guiding, and carrying out the objectives of the board of directors.
The small administrative team of The Raptor Center needs a leader skilled in human resources, finance, internal controls, and operational systems.
- Support professional development of all staff to succeed in their current role and see opportunity in future roles.
- Oversee all personnel and support directors in human resources and performance metrics.
- Develop budgets and provide financial oversight per business area.
- Supervise strategies for fundraising, communication, education, and veterinary services.
- Develop and engage in program evaluation and accountability metrics.
- Embody servant leadership in all interactions with staff.
Board of Directors
- Support the board in developing a strong vision, plan, and implementation strategy.
- Recommend policies/procedures for board governance.
- Engage board members in advocacy.
- Provide information, feedback, metrics, and data to the board for decision-making.
The Executive Director is the face of The Raptor Center to our many supporters, partners, and community members. Being an active spokesperson and fundraiser is an important aspect of our daily work.
- Lead capital campaign strategy and implement a plan with staff/consultants.
- Actively maintain contacts and develop relationships with individual donors.
- Oversee grant applications and capital investment requests.
- Ensure development and growth of the center’s physical facility, educational and outreach programs, bird rehabilitation efforts, and visitation
- Advance the organization’s profile as a prime nature education center and raptor rescue facility in the Willamette Valley.
- Regularly engage with local, regional, and national organizations serving the Raptor/Wildlife Rehabilitation population.
- Build relationships with nonprofit and government agencies and nature centers.
- Develop and maintain foundation relations and corporate relations.
The successful Executive Director will quickly become an important asset in evaluating, guiding, and delivering success on various projects.
- Review, engage, and implement a Capital Campaign Strategy.
- Actively participate in fundraising and communications around the capital campaign.
- Develop strong relationships with community partners, donors, and media.
- Move organization from strategy to fundraising to construction.
- Oversee construction management and hiring key personnel.
- Build a strategic planning strategy that encompasses vision, mission, and implementation.
- Recruit and on-board board and staff to deliver on strategic plan goals.
- Implement the strategic plan leading board and staff in strategic conversations, goal setting, and tactical implementation.
- 5+ Years of Experience at a director or executive level in a nonprofit.
- 3+ Years of Experience managing leadership-level staff.
- Ability to create and use budgets, monthly financials, and cash-flow.
- Knowledge of earned-revenue, membership, and other revenue sources.
- Experience with human resource management.
- Direct experience working with a board of directors.
- Direct experience overseeing capital campaigns/feasibility studies.
- Direct experience in individual asks, major gifts and earned revenue.
- Strong communication skills: both internally and externally.
- Servant-Leadership management style.
How to Apply
- Nonprofit Professionals Now is pleased to be working with Cascades Raptor Center on this key leadership role. Please review the full job description and submit a resume and cover letter for full consideration at the application portal:
- Application Portal: Click here to apply online.
- Application Deadline: July 6, 2022
- We are interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We welcome applicants who bring a diversity of identity, culture, experience, perspective, and thought. We encourage you to apply, even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications described. You are also encouraged to address how your professional and lived experience will contribute to our organization.