Full-Time Executive Director
Position Now Open: Executive Director
General Description: Save the Dunes Conservation Fund, Inc. (Save the Dunes) is a non-profit conservation organization located in Michigan City, Indiana and serving Northwest Indiana. Our mission is to is to protect and advocate for the Indiana dunes, Lake Michigan, and the surrounding natural areas for the betterment of the environment and the people who live, work, and recreate in Northwest Indiana. At 69-years old, we have the reputation of being the defenders and protectors of the Indiana dunes and Lake Michigan. Our team is seeking a full-time Executive Director to oversee the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Save the Dunes provides a vibrant environment for continuous learning in a challenging and rewarding atmosphere in which both personal and organizational successes are valued and celebrated. Much of the organization’s work is focused on our two dunes parks – the Indiana Dunes National Park and the Indiana Dunes State Park. While these parks are technically protected in perpetuity due to their federal and state designations, there are countless stressors, threats and planning issues that merit our attention. Save the Dunes works to address these ever-changing challenges and opportunities. The organization is also the leading advocate for Great Lakes restoration in Indiana. We participate in various coalitions and projects to help Lake Michigan – the centerpiece of our environment and economy.
Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programming, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of advocacy, conservation, and outreach programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for developing a strategic plan with stakeholder involvement and implementing the plan with partner guidance to ensure mission fulfillment.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Save the Dunes image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Responsible for managing communications including website, social media, and mass media interactions.
Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible effective administration of operations.
- Responsible for signing all agreements, including grants, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Responsible for establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support Save the Dunes’ mission (including grant-writing and raising monies from private and individual donors).
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the organization to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
Board Governance: Works with board in order to ensure the organization’s sustainability and impact.
- Responsible for leading Save the Dunes in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors and strategic plan.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High level strategic thinking and planning;
- Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors;
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal communication skills;
- Demonstrated leadership and proven accomplishments;
- Strong management and supervisory skills and experience;
- Extensive public speaking experience;
- Grant writing experience;
- Proven ability to manage organizational finances, including grant administration;
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments;
- Proficient in basic Microsoft® programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred);
- Experience with environmental issues affecting land, water, and air;
- Transparent and high integrity leadership;
- Three or more years nonprofit management experience;
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors;
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community;
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers;
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation;
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Strong public speaking ability;
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Ability to work at a desk for a 40 hour work week;
- Ascends and descends stairs daily;
- Some work may involve exposure to outdoor elements, carrying heavy equipment, and moving in varied outdoor terrain.
- Must live in or be willing to relocate to Lake, Porter, or LaPorte Counties of Northwest Indiana
- Commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Health benefits provided; retirement benefits available after one year of employment
Equal Employment Opportunity
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Save the Dunes will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. Save the Dunes does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Save the Dunes participates in the E-Verify Program, an Internet-based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
To apply, please email a letter of interest as well as your resume to: email@example.com
Applications must be received absolutely no later than 11:59 PM CT on October 31, 2021.
Please, no phone calls or other inquiries.
How to Apply
- To apply, please email a letter of interest as well as your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications must be received absolutely no later than 11:59 PM CT on October 31, 2021.
- Please, no phone calls or other inquiries.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405