Full-Time Executive Director
Organization: Georgia ForestWatch
Position: Executive Director Georgia ForestWatch is looking for an Executive Director.
Our mission is to enhance the health of Georgia’s Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest (CONF) by protecting our forests and streams, advocating for natural processes and identifying opportunities to improve forest management. GAFW works to encourage ecologically appropriate forest and recreation management practices in one of the most exceptionally biodiverse regions of the country. We protect the headwaters of rivers that Georgians rely on, wildlife habitat, and old-growth forests. These efforts benefit the 2.9 million annual visitors to the CONF and help protect drinking water sources for millions of others.
This is a unique opportunity for an individual to grow GAFW to the next level. With a recently updated strategic plan, 750 loyal members/donors, long-term foundation funders, stable financial footing, and highly engaged volunteers, we are poised to grow as an organization. We are looking for a leader who is passionate about environmental protection and education, forest management/ecology and nonprofit management.
● Minimum of 3 years serving in a leadership role. (Environmental background preferred).
● B.S. or higher degree, preferably in a related field: environmental science, non-profit management, ecology, environmental education, etc.
Required Competencies and Skills
● Leadership Skills: Project management skills, including the ability to determine strategies, set agendas and timelines, delegate tasks and assess progress.
● Soft skills: Listening, strategizing, creative problem solving, critical thinking, promoting teamwork and adaptability.
● Communication Skills: Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills. Technical Writing Skills: Ability to review and assist with technical writing, as needed.
● Experience supervising staff/contractors — including hiring, training, negotiating contracts and evaluating performance/corrective action.
● Fundraising experience.
● Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
Preferred Competencies and Skills
● Background or degree in forest ecology or related field.
● Demonstrated understanding of U.S. Forest Service processes for decision-making and public interaction.
● Experience interacting with government agencies on natural resource policies and planning.
● Previous experience as an Executive Director for a nonprofit, including strategic planning, budget processes, financial management and risk management.
● Experience creating and leading a successful fundraising campaign.
● Demonstrated success securing grant funding.
● Demonstrated success planning and implementing an advocacy campaign in the environmental arena.
● Experience working with a board to implement a strategic plan, board development, board expansion and succession planning.
● Experience with volunteer management.
Salary – Salary Range: $60K – $75K. Employee compensation is commensurate with experience, skills, best practices and market rate.
Benefits – Paid holidays, vacation and sick leave. Ability to work remotely, with the expectation that commuting to the Dahlonega office will be required in order to attend staff meetings or other organizational duties. Estimated commuter travel is one to two days per week.
To visit our website: www.gafw.org
Georgia ForestWatch is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified candidates for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, creed, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status protected by law.
How to ApplyTo view the complete job description and instructions on submitting an application, please visit www.gafw.org/jobs.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405