Full-Time Executive Director
Sierra Streams Institute (SSI) seeks an experienced, dynamic, and passionate Executive Director to lead the organization into the future. SSI has been a regional watershed science nonprofit based in Nevada City, California, dedicated to increasing watershed stewardship capacity throughout the Sierra Nevada region and beyond for more than 20 years. Our mission is to link water, science, and people for the benefit of human and environmental health. We work with local, state, and federal agencies as well as universities and community groups to find solutions to the problems that afflict Deer Creek, Bear River and other watersheds throughout the region that share the challenges resulting from a century and a half of gold mining, development, and agriculture. SSI’s emphasis on rigorous science and consistent data collection provides the basis for restoration decisions that are made on behalf of watersheds, and makes us an especially valuable partner of local, state, and federal government agencies who lack the funding and capacity to gather their own data.
We are engaged in monitoring, restoration, research and science education. SSI has been a regional leader in citizen science, engaging the local community to solve environmental issues. We have received grants from the National Science Foundation for our work, and partner with universities, state and local governments. The Institute provides unique opportunities to develop innovative conservation solutions while working closely with a small, dedicated staff. The Institute’s team is comprised of 6 full time and 3 part time employees, and we leverage a volunteer pool of several hundred volunteers. For more information about the organization, please visit the website at www.sierrastreamsinstitute.org.
The Executive Director will work with the Board of Directors to fulfill SSI’s mission, will develop resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization, work with staff to ensure the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach, and will implement appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are -successful. The Executive Director will provide leadership across all operations and programs, including management of staff, facilities management, day-to-day administration, financial forecasting and budgeting, community outreach, marketing, and fundraising. The Executive Director will also develop and maintain policies and procedures for all staff functions and ensure fiscal responsibility over the budget. The Executive Director will help to maintain, develop and implement major fundraising initiatives through donor relations, direct mail campaigns, grants and events.
The Executive Director is responsible for Strategic Leadership, Financial Management and Outreach on behalf of the organization. Responsibilities include:
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors informing, assessing, and addressing issues of SSI.
- Establish employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Identify and implement staffing requirements for efficient operations, maintaining a strong culture and work climate that attracts and retains staff, and drives SSI’s mission.
- Manage, supervise, and collaborate with SSI staff.
- -Participate in Strategic Planning with the Board and implement the plan.
- Plan and implement the annual budget.
- Serve as SSI’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and the public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance SSI’s mission.
- Engage in fundraising and developing other revenues.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Review and approve grant submissions and contracts for services.
- Ensure that SSI is always in compliance with all local, state, and Federal laws.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Professional Qualifications & Personal Characteristics
- Passion for SSI’s mission to restore and maintain our regional watersheds, and to create environmental stewards by educating our community.
- Leader with collaborative style, excellent listening skills and ability to build strong relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Minimum 6-10 years in senior leadership and supervisory roles with progressively increasing responsibility and impact, in areas including developing and executing business/strategic plans and successfully implementing new projects and/or growing existing major projects.
- Strong fundraising, marketing, and public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures. Expertise with a proven track record in fundraising.
- Highly independent, proactive and entrepreneurial with experience in managing and growing an organization.
- Previous experience with rigorous financial management.
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field, with MBA, Master’s degree or equivalent preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
- Full time, 40 hour week.
- Salary: DOE, competitive
- Benefits: paid time off including 2 weeks’ vacation, healthcare and dental
- Located in the beautiful foothills of the Sierra Nevada.
How to Apply
- Sierra Streams Institute is an equal opportunity employer that considers all applications without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or preference, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Non-smoker preferred. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and applications are open until the position is filled.
- Email letter of interest, resume, three professional references and salary expectations in Adobe PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title and your name in your subject line (example: “Executive Director – Jane Smith”). All attachments should be submitted with the applicant’s first initial and last name included in the file name (for example “J.Smith Resume”).
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405