Full-Time Executive Director
The Talking Farm (TTF) in Skokie, Illinois is currently seeking an enterprising, versatile, responsible leader to serve as our Executive Director (ED). If you have been waiting for the chance to utilize your skills in non-profit management and development for a sustainability-focused organization, this could be the opportunity you’ve been looking for!
The ED will be the principal and senior manager of TTF, reporting to the Board of Directors, with overall authority and responsibility for the strategic goals and budget set in collaboration with the Board. The ED will wear many hats and must be able to engage as a business operator and non-profit administrator.
TTF is seeking candidates with the ability, interest, and commitment to take our organization to the next level. Qualifications/experience for the position include:
- Experience as an Executive Director, including demonstrated leadership in the development and growth of a non-profit organization, preferably in a similar orbit as TTF.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, including grant-writing.
- Experience recruiting, managing, training, and evaluating staff, and establishing and maintaining a work environment that encourages staff initiative and growth.
- Financial management experience, including budget development, management and accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate effectively with a wide range of constituent groups—i.e., children, youth, parents, volunteer staff, the public, donors, board members, etc.
- Ability to establish and effectively manage a budget and strategically plan for future expansion and growth of the budget.
- Experience planning and executing events.
- Literacy in MS Word, Excel, Social Media, Google Docs & Groups, WordPress, and Consumer Relations Management (CRM) software.
WHO WE ARE
TTF began in 2006 out of the grassroots efforts to improve our food system. We are a local leader in urban agriculture with hands-on educational programs at schools and in our 2.75-acre urban farm, the Howard Street Farm. Since we began developing our urban farm in 2010, we have grown significantly, developing more than 1.5 acres of farmland and administering 6 educational programs. TTF produces over 16,000 pounds of produce every year that it distributes to the community through restaurants, a membership program, farmers’ markets, and food kitchens.
Our mission is to provide education, example, and hands-on experience to members of the community to expand the awareness, importance, and availability of food grown sustainably. TTF is focused on educational programming and the cultivation of the Howard Street Farm, which serves as a hub devoted to sustainable, in-ground produce growth with three hoop houses and 6 grow fields. Howard Street Farm also hosts events throughout the growing season.