Full-Time Executive Director
The Executive Director (ED) is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Board of Directors. The ED oversees the overall management of the organization and its operations.
1) Board Development and Governance
- Work with existing Board and management team to restructure the Board of Directors, including recruiting new members, to better align with and support TCR’s operations and constituency
- Develop and maintain strong, positive working relationships with Board
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide timely and accurate information so the Board and committees function properly and can make informed decisions
2) Business Development
- Fundraise and develop resources necessary to support the organization’s future and generate new revenue
- Manage and expand foundation relationships, individual donor network and annual Board campaign
- Cultivate and maintain strategic partnerships with other organizations and key stakeholders to facilitate new initiatives that advance TCR’s mission and goals
- Identify key opportunities that will drive revenue and enhance mission impact
- Plan and execute business development activities with TCR staff
3) Financial Performance and Viability
- Work with staff and board in preparing the annual budget for Board approval; manage revenues and expenses; forecast and adjust budget throughout the year to maintain financial stability and ensure that funds are adequate for the organization’s operations
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, as well as required reporting
- Maintain sound financial policies and practices; develop and maintain sound financial practices
- Assist with annual audit
- Hire and supervise management and administrative staff
- Prepare yearly performance evaluations (oral and written) for administrative and management staff; review all performance evaluations
- Promote staff development
- Foster a team environment
- Lead, develop and energize staff
- Represent TCR to the media and in forums to enhance the organization’s brand
5) Operational Management
- Oversee staff and contractors
- Maintain direct reporting relationships with senior management
- Conduct and implement strategic planning
- Review and sign all contracts, agreements, and other instruments to advance the mission, purpose and vision of the organization
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services
- Ensure that the programs and services contribute to the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board
- Monitor the delivery of programs and services to maintain or improve quality
- MA in business administration, public administration or relevant field.
- Five or more years as executive director or senior manager at an environmental nonprofit, ideally in climate change.
- Established relationships and network; ability to leverage existing partnerships and identify new opportunities.
- Demonstrated fundraising and revenue generation ability.
- Experience in growing and maintaining membership-based programs.
- Significant budget management experience, including budget preparation, analysis and reporting.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator able to convey The Climate Registry’s vision and strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership with the ability to coach, manage, and develop high-performance teams, and set and achieve strategic objectives.
- S. citizen or legal right to work in the U.S.
Location and Travel
- Executive Director will be located in the Los Angeles office.
- This position will require travel to conferences, events and meetings and limited domestic and international travel.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Climate Registry offers a comprehensive benefits package including health and dental insurance and retirement saving options.
How to ApplyApplication Process Applications will be accepted until March 20, 2019 or the position is filled. Interviews will be held by telephone and in Los Angeles. Interested candidates should e-mail the following documents to email@example.com with the subject line “Search: Executive Director”.
- Cover letter