Full-Time Executive Director
The South-central Partnership for Energy Efficiency as a Resource, or SPEER, is one of six nonprofit regional energy efficiency organizations recognized by the US Department of Energy. Based in Austin, SPEER’s mission is to accelerate the adoption of advanced building systems and energy efficient products and services in Texas and Oklahoma. Its purpose is to advance the understanding and adoption of energy efficiency as a low-cost energy resource, and to design, implement, coordinate and support regional projects to promote high energy performance and clean distributed energy in the built environment. For more information, visit the SPEER website.
SPEER is seeking a new Executive Director to replace the retiring incumbent. As a core responsibility, the Executive Director represents the organization externally and success is dependent upon careful communications, proactive outreach, and active engagement with diverse groups. The Executive Director works collaboratively with an independent volunteer Board of Directors to provide strategic and policy direction and facilitates strategic planning, member relations, fundraising, and external communications.
- Provide thought leadership in developing the organization’s strategic future with a process that engages staff, board and key constituencies in designing and implementing new programs to impact the region.
- Increase awareness of SPEER’s mission and build bridges with other organizations to attract members, sponsors and allies for the programs and initiatives of the organization.
- Maintain and expand the financial strength of the organization through fundraising and membership growth.
- Manage member relations, communications, and recruitment efforts.
- Facilitate an inclusive environment and a positive collaborative culture among staff to ensure the quality and effectiveness of the organization as a whole.
- Maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including elected officials, equipment manufacturers, and trade allies.
- Ensure compliance with all legal, contractual and fiduciary obligations.
Professional Qualifications & Personal Characteristics
- Passion for the mission of SPEER and knowledgeable about energy efficiency, energy policy, water policy, conservation and regulatory issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills as a convener for the SPEER network and as a bridge-builder to forge cross-sector partnerships with other organizations, businesses, academia and the public sector.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including effective public speaking, writing, and an ability to engage with and motivate people.
- Entrepreneurial spirit who actively seeks new opportunities to advance innovative energy policies.
- Minimum of five years supervisory or managerial experience with demonstrated expertise in business, financial, personnel management and decision-making.
- Proven ability to work effectively with volunteer non-profit boards and committees, and horizontal, matrix-type organizations.
- Nonprofit fundraising, grant writing and membership growth experience preferred.
- M.A., M.P.A., or M.S. in business, public administration, policy, or management preferred; or equivalent work experience.
Location & Compensation
This position is based in the SPEER office in Austin, Texas. Potentially 20% or more of Executive Director’s time will be required for travel in the Texas/Oklahoma region. Occasional trips out of the region may be required. Salary is commensurate with experience.
SPEER is an Equal Opportunity Employer.