Full-Time Executive Director
Anacostia Riverkeeper Executive Director Position
As Anacostia Riverkeeper, we advocate for enforcement of environmental laws, patrol and protect our local waterways, and engage the public in activities that connect them to the river. We envision and work for a future where all people in the Anacostia watershed can enjoy a fishable and swimmable river.
Executive Director Position Description:
The Executive Director of Anacostia Riverkeeper acts as Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for overseeing the mission, programs and day-to-day operations of the organization. The Executive Director is the chief ambassador and fundraiser for the organization, and s/he is responsible for ensuring that the organization builds programs that advance its mission, secures the resources it needs to succeed and manages funds efficiently and effectively. The Executive Director is supervised by the Board of Directors and directs the work of the staff.
- Work with Board to develop and implement goals, timelines and action plans
- Work with Board to develop an annual fundraising plan to meet budgetary needs
- Collaborate with the staff and Board to develop outreach and education programs
- Identify and prioritize on-going water quality issues related to the health, protection, and restoration of the Anacostia River.
- Routinely inform the public about river-related issues and Anacostia Riverkeeper programs addressing issues by participating in press releases, media interviews, letters to the editor, and speaking engagements.
- Develop effective working relationships with community and business leaders, media, civic organizations, and citizens to raise awareness and facilitate the protection and restoration of the river.
- Represent Anacostia Riverkeeper and the interests of the river on committees, appointed boards or commissions.
- Serve as chief administrator and ambassador for the organization.
- Manage a small staff to ensure efficient business operations and coordination of programs. Oversee Implementation of Staff Work Plans.
- Excellent communication, presentation, writing and interpersonal skills; ability to set goals, strategies, and plans with measurable objectives
- An energetic self-starter and quick learner with the ability to work in teams and individually.
- Possess a Commitment for environmental protection and the environment
- Knowledgeable of environmental laws and regulations pertaining to water quality.
- Be creative, diplomatic, well-organized, and decisive and must possess strong interpersonal skills and leadership capabilities.
- Have skills to motivate and work with a diversity of people
Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree preferred.
Work experience with oversight responsibility: 8 plus years suggested.
Experience working with a non-profit organization and culture.
Commitment to Anacostia Riverkeeper’s mission. Love of rivers.
Must have a car and be willing to work some weekends and some evenings. Ability to handle small watercraft considered a plus.
Passion. Hustle. Enthusiasm. Doing whatever it takes to get the job done well.
Salary is Commensurate with Experience. Health plan and matching 401K benefits. Liberal time off.
Anacostia Riverkeeper is a small nonprofit whose mission is to protect and restore the Anacostia River for all those who live, work, and play in the watershed.
Anacostia Riverkeeper is a licensed member of the Waterkeeper Alliance®, an international coalition of cover 200 organizations dedicated to protecting waterways around the world.