Full-Time Executive Director
Tilth Alliance seeks an experienced, visionary leader to work with our partners, Board, staff, and members to help take our organization to a new level of programmatic and financial success. The recent merger of our three organizations, Tilth Producers, Seattle Tilth and Cascade Harvest Coalition, and subsequent leadership changes, has led the Board to examine and re-define our strategic direction. Our ideal candidate is a collaborative, get-work-done, strategic thinker, with a background in complex non-profit management and an understanding of Washington’s food system and its players.
Tilth Alliance is committed to working in partnership with a broad array of organizations to help cultivate a sustainable and equitable food system in Washington State. The executive director is responsible for helping the Board clarify and refine the strategic direction, implementing Board policies, ensuring organizational integrity, managing staff and daily operations, and helping to build alliances with others doing similar work. To this end, we are looking for someone who can cultivate positive relationships among agricultural producers, consumers, gardeners, cooks, educators, environmental advocates, donors, and funders to address actions and policies to build a healthier food system.
About Tilth Alliance
At Tilth Alliance, we want everyone to be able to eat well, every day. We are a 501c3 nonprofit with a long history of inspiring, teaching and empowering people to grow, cook and eat food in ways that contribute to thriving communities and a healthy environment. We have consistently provided:
- Science-based experiential education designed to expand understanding of how food is grown, distributed, and prepared;
- Peer-to-peer learning, networking and resources to foster thriving, successful farm businesses that promote sustainable practices and support consumption of local, seasonal food.
We look to a future in which Tilth Alliance reinforces and amplifies the work of many others involved in building strong sustainable food economies across Washington’s urban and rural areas. We envision a state whose culture values and stands up for resilient farmers, healthy ecosystems, and engaged eaters.
The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors and is responsible for leadership, resource development, and fiscal and operations oversight.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership to define and realize the goals and objectives of Tilth Alliance
- Develop and implement strategic and operating plans for both the short-term and long-range
- Serve as a spokesperson on behalf of Tilth Alliance to engage, enable, and build mutually beneficial partnerships with others in the food community, and to develop innovative partnerships with influential individuals and other entities
- Foster a culture of inclusivity with engagement across diverse cultures and communities
- Set and establish means to measure annual fundraising goals
- Provide ideas and approaches to build a resource base that supports the ongoing work of Tilth Alliance
- Engage key donors, members, and funders in the work of the organization to attract and sustain needed resources
Operations and Fiscal Oversight
- Optimize organizational structure and systems for efficient operations and to promote accountability
- Oversee preparation of an annual budget and implement sound financial management practices to ensure organizational resiliency
- Provide mentoring and guide professional development of staff to enhance their development along with the organization’s
- 7+ years nonprofit executive leadership including working with a Board of Directors (some years in other leadership roles may be substituted)
- Demonstrated ability to manage and sustain a complex budget of > $1-4M/annually
- Proven success in executing fundraising and donor relations strategies
- Proven success in managing complex business operations and systems
- 5+ years of staff management and development experience, including employee evaluation
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL
- Be passionate about sustainable agriculture and a healthy, equitable food system
- Be an outstanding communicator, both verbally and in writing, including knowing how to listen
- Be comfortable dealing with complexity and whole systems thinking
- Demonstrate the capacity to build trusted and successful partnerships and collaborations
- Assume responsibility and be accountable for taking action
- Have a “can-do” attitude to solving problems and identifying solutions
- Demonstrate the capacity to share information and credit with others
- Value diversity in perspectives, approaches, cultures, experiences, and backgrounds
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Tilth Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Tilth Alliance is dedicated to the goal of building an outstanding, culturally diverse team committed to working in a multicultural environment. We strive to include within our staff people who are representative of the people and communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse or underrepresented backgrounds, and people hailing from urban, suburban and rural areas.
This is a full-time exempt position that requires willingness to work some evenings and weekends and travel statewide. A competitive salary will be offered, dependent on experience and background. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, and holiday, vacation and sick leave.
To apply, submit as one MS Word or PDF document a resume and letter of interest describing how your background, experience, and qualifications fit our needs (as outlined above). Please limit your submittal to no more than six pages. Applications are due by close of business on June 29, 2018. Please email all materials to EDSearch@tilthallianceboard.org with the subject “2018 Executive Director Application.” No phone calls please.