Full-Time Executive Director
The California Association of Resource Conservation Districts (CARCD) is a 501c3 non-profit organization supporting the State’s network of 95 Resource Conservation Districts (RCDs) in implementing locally led, community-based conservation on public and private lands. CARCD’s vision is that every RCD has the support, leadership, and capacity to address the state’s most pressing natural resource issues through collaboration with a significant range of stakeholder agencies and communities working toward a healthier, more resilient California for everyone. CARCD’s mission is to connect, serve, and champion the statewide network of RCDs through creation of a strong, mutually supportive collaboration of districts with shared goals and resources; developing funding opportunities and enabling sharing of tools and expertise among the RCD community to continue building District capacity; and highlighting the critical work of Districts to elected officials, conservation leaders, and the community.
The full staff and Board of Directors of CARCD is fully committed to completing work within the principles and lens of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI). All candidates for Association positions are expected to support and expand JEDI focus, success, and extension to all areas of CARCD internal operations and external partner work.
Executive Director Position Description Summary:
The ideal CARCD Executive Director is a passionate professional prepared to provide critical leadership to the diverse network of Resource Conservation Districts, partners, and community members working to advance a collective vision and impact. This position reports to a Board of Directors composed of Board Members and senior staff of member agencies and has overall strategic and operational responsibility for mission, vision, staff, and programs of CARCD. S/he/they will work to continue strengthening the existing network of RCDs through prioritizing principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion across all Association work; developing short and long-term plans and associated budgets enabling the Association to meet operational targets; and actively coordinating regional and statewide RCD communication, coordination, and capacity-building. The most successful candidate for this position will have the ability to develop and advance strategies for Association organizational structure, financial sustainability, and internal and external network building within a range of settings and with a variety of federal, state, and local partner audiences. S/He/They will balance operational and program needs with the advancement of CARCD strategic goals and objectives as set forth by the Association Board of Directors and staff.
Executive Director Position Highlights: Network-Building; Funding Development, and Elevating Organizational Capacity and Long-Term Sustainability
- Prioritizing actions related to CARCD program evaluation and adaptive management; strategic plan updating and implementation; strong financial health; organizational structure and function; and coordination with Executive Board and full Board of Directors
- In collaboration with the Association’s Legislative Committee and external support, complete advocacy in support of key legislation.
- Regular support of Association Leadership staff in strengthening existing and developing new programs, deliverables, and partnerships
- Broaden the understanding of existing excellence and full potential of individual RCDs through effective communication of metrics of success to elected and appointed officials, external funders, the general community, and others.
- Ensure CARCD is represented in strategic regional resource groups working to address natural resources issues impacting RCDs and the communities they serve
- Collaborate with networks supporting conservation districts at the national and state level.
- Any combination of experience and education equivalent to eight years that demonstrates ability to accomplish the work described in “Executive Director Position Highlights” above
- Experience working effectively in collaboration with a diverse group of stakeholders representing a range of backgrounds and priorities
- Working style and approach characterized by passion, integrity, and collaboration
Desirable qualifications and experience:
- Experience tracking and engaging in legislative advocacy
- Collaborative facilitation of organization-wide Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) programming and focus
CARCD is committed to building an amazing and diverse team! If you do not meet the above qualifications but believe you are well suited to this position, we encourage you to apply and include your reasoning in your cover letter.
Work Setting: CARCD is currently a fully remote office, based in California. The Executive Director should have the ability to be in Sacramento 1-2 times per week and be able to travel as needed.
Position Details and Compensation: The CARCD Executive Director is an exempt position with a great deal of flexibility in regular work schedule and location. Compensation is based on qualifications and experience, within the range of $110,000 to $140,000. The full Executive Director Benefits package includes:
- 12 paid holidays (9 scheduled; 3 floating); 2 weeks of paid vacation and 2 weeks of paid sick time
- Paid health insurance (stipend for those otherwise covered)
- 401K retirement program (non-matching)
- $40/Month Technology Stipend