American Progress has an immediate opening for an Executive Assistant on the Executive team. This position will involve organizing meetings and managing schedules for a member of the Executive team; researching, drafting, and editing materials; and performing other tasks as needed. This position calls for a clear communicator with stellar judgment and discretion who can manage important relationships and projects, is highly organized and detail oriented, maintains the ability to prioritize competing demands, and provides timely and concise information. The right candidate will demonstrate an ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment. Applicants must have excellent research and organizational skills and pay careful attention to deadlines and follow-up communications.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide administrative support to the member of the Executive team, including scheduling, booking travel, preparing research memos, notetaking, and other duties as needed.
- Provide a range of research support on key policy areas to the member of the Executive team, including reading and summarizing existing research, and more.
- Draft policy briefing memos, formal speeches, talking points, and other written materials as needed.
- Maintain a high level of organization to ensure the member of the Executive team is able to accomplish daily tasks and long-term responsibilities efficiently.
- Exercise judgment on priority of tasks, meetings, incoming materials for review, pending decisions, and messages.
- Prepare briefing books or other briefing materials as needed.
- Communicate effectively with senior management, donors, and others on the behalf of the Executive team member.
- Handle confidential and nonroutine information and matters.
- Take on special projects.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two to four years of prior experience in administrative support, policy or political research, or another relevant role.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills to interact professionally and diplomatically with a wide range of staff and external stakeholders.
- Sensitivity in navigating progressive politics and policies.
- Displays willingness and curiosity to learn about new areas and subjects.
- Exceptionally well-organized and detail oriented.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not part of the bargaining unit and is budgeted for approximately $40,000 annually.