Full-Time Environmental Outreach and Communications Consulting Associate
Cascadia Consulting Group is a women-owned, private environmental consulting firm with 26 years of experience developing and implementing innovative solutions to today’s environmental challenges. Cascadia works with public and private-sector clients to advance sustainability through recycling and materials management, climate change mitigation and adaptation, energy efficiency, pollution prevention, transportation demand management, and water and natural resources management. The Cascadia team brings both established expertise and creative thinking to research and analysis, strategic planning, program design and implementation, outreach, social marketing and behavior change, and evaluation roles. From our offices in Oakland (CA), Seattle (WA), and Charleston (SC), we serve clients across the country and abroad.
At Cascadia, we strive to create an equitable and inclusive environment at all levels of the organization. Having staff and partnerships that reflect the diverse communities we serve empowers us to shape innovative and effective solutions together with those most impacted by social, human, and environmental health challenges.
Cascadia seeks an Associate to support our Education, Communications and Outreach (ECO) line of business to:
- Perform project management, including scoping, budgeting, planning, client communication, directing staff and/or subcontractors, reporting, and invoicing.
- Ensure that projects are delivered on time, within budget, and in accordance with Cascadia’s reputation and standards for producing high-quality work products and outcomes.
- Support or lead facilitation (e.g., draft presentation slides, prepare meeting materials, guide discussions, and take notes) of large multi-stakeholder meetings, workshops, task forces, and committees to support our clients in preventing waste and increasing recycling and composting.
- Train and mentor staff from racially diverse backgrounds on effective and culturally informed outreach and engagement strategies.
- Support ECO projects by conducting in-person, phone, email, and virtual outreach to business representatives and residents of multifamily housing complexes to engage and promote waste-reduction behavior (e.g., recycling and composting).
- Contribute to a working environment conducive to team effectiveness, quality, creativity, and positive morale across Cascadia’s offices.
The selected candidate will work primarily on project management within Cascadia’s ECO line of business and periodically support research and planning projects within Cascadia’s Recycling and Materials Management line of business, including waste characterization studies. As needed, they may occasionally support Cascadia’s Climate and Natural Resource Management projects, including climate action planning and community engagement. This position will support a diverse set of clients ranging from local governments and utilities to recycling and waste management service providers and private‐sector companies.
Occasional travel, including field work, meetings, overnight stays, or other activities outside standard work hours may be required.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, Cascadia’s mission to “inspire and empower communities everywhere to protect and restore our world” in an equitable and inclusive way.
- A proven track record of project management, which can include overseeing all aspects of client services projects or completing project deliverables on time and on budget.
- Ability to proactively identify and resolve issues, especially budget, project, client, customer, and/or stakeholder issues.
- Ability to work with clients, partners, and colleagues in an innovative and culturally responsive way while exhibiting emotional intelligence.
- Ability to thoughtfully navigate client and stakeholder relationships, and the ability to advocate for community needs to clients to ensure equitable and effective outcomes.
- A commitment to racial equity and the ability to apply racial equity principles to project work.
- Excitement and interest about working and developing additional skills in the environmental/sustainability field.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills in English with the ability to adapt to a diversity of styles and perspectives.
- Excellent organizational skills, data management abilities, and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and deadlines.
- Ability to lift or move up to 40 pounds, stand or walk on uneven surfaces for up to 10 hours per day, and work outdoors, including in inclement weather.
- A four-year degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience managing and tracking work with customers, clients, or partners using Customer Relationship Management software or similar tools.
- Training or expertise in the fields of recycling, composting, materials management, zero waste, and other environmental fields. Topics may include waste collection and processing systems, community-based social marketing, behavioral science, waste characterization studies, zero waste planning and policy, and composting or food waste prevention.
- Experience conducting qualitative analyses and writing research summaries, memos, surveys, interview guides, reports, strategic plans, and proposals.
- Experience performing quantitative analyses on diverse datasets, analyzing project metrics, tracking budget performance, and analyzing research data including intermediate Microsoft Excel skills.
- Written and verbal proficiency in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Tagalog, or other language(s) commonly spoken in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Advanced degree or certification in a relevant field, or equivalent transferable experience.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position based in Oakland, CA. Salary will be based on experience and competitive with jobs in the environmental sector. Salary ranges will be provided to candidates invited to interview for the position.
The work may require flexible hours and may have designated hours beyond the standard workday, including weekends and evenings. Cascadia offers a flexible workplace with a generous benefit package, including health insurance for employees at or above 60% full-time equivalent, 401(k) with an employer match, life insurance, long-term disability, transportation subsidies, flexible spending accounts, generous paid time off, professional development budget, sabbaticals, and paid parental leave.
How to ApplySubmit a compelling cover letter outlining your passion for, and fit with, the position. Please also provide a complete chronological resume. Send both to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Environmental Outreach and Communications Consulting Associate - [Your Name]” in the subject line. Your cover letter should address your ability to meet the criteria in the Required Qualifications section and highlight relevant experience, education, and why you are interested in this position. Please state where you learned about the position. Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm (Pacific) on July 26, 2020.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405