Full-Time Environmental Media Communications Specialist
Burness, a mission-driven communications firm committed to helping nonprofits and foundations advance social change worldwide, seeks a media relations expert with 3-5 years of experience in the environmental field. We’re looking for a high-energy, organized person with the ability to land media placements for a fast-paced, global environmental campaign on biodiversity and media promotions on deforestation, climate change and more. Must provide examples of media placements and associated press materials, short-form writing samples (statements, pitches, press releases) and list of journalists with whom you are regularly working. You will work within a team of colleagues playing different roles in each promotion and with multiple partners outside of Burness.
Basic job requirements include the demonstrated ability to:
- Determine news value of stories, possible news angles and strategies using your own media analysis and based on your experience in the field;
- Lead, organize and execute on media relations promotions–assessing stories, writing or editing statements, selecting target journalist list, processing media materials with client and then rolling out pitches by email, phone and digital channels;
- Develop or build on strong contacts with environmental journalists;
- Write short-form media-related products clearly and concisely (statements, pitches, press releases, talking points);
- Be flexible and able to move quickly on fast-breaking assignments;
- Be a strong verbal communicator, able to convey complex ideas and thinking clearly and concisely; and
- Provide strategies for and execute broader communications strategies — including writing communications plans, development of key messages, audience research — for nonprofits, foundations and international agencies.
Familiarity with our work platforms is a plus: Slack, Asana, Microsoft Office/Sharepoint, Microsoft Teams, Zoom and public relations-specific resources such as Muckrack. Strong preference for Washington, DC area-based employee.
Burness offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
How to ApplyApply online via firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405