Full-Time Environmental Media Communications Specialist
We are seeking a communications and media relations expert with 3-5 years of experience in communicating about topics linked to the environment and climate. Burness, a mission-driven communications firm committed to helping nonprofits and foundations advance social change worldwide, is looking for a person with the ability to land media placements in top tier, trade and other news outlets for a fast-paced, global environmental campaign environmental campaign requiring outreach on biodiversity, oceans, climate on as part of on media promotions on deforestation, climate change, biodiversity, oceans and more. Activities could include generating a statement in response to headline news of the day, Must provide examples of media placements and associated press materials.
Basic job requirements include the demonstrated ability to:
- Determine news value of stories, possible news angles and strategies using your own media analysis and based on your experience in the field;
- Lead, organize and execute media relations promotions–assessing stories, writing or editing statements, selecting target journalist list, processing media materials with client and then rolling out pitches by email, phone and digital channels;
- Develop or build on strong contacts with environmental journalists;
- Write short-form media-related products clearly and concisely (statements, pitches, press releases, talking points);
- Be flexible and able to move quickly on fast-breaking assignments;
- Be a strong verbal communicator, able to convey complex ideas and thinking clearly and concisely; and
- Provide strategies for and execute broader communications strategies — including writing communications plans, development of key messages, audience research — for nonprofits, foundations and international agencies.
Familiarity with our work platforms is a plus: Slack, Asana, Microsoft Office/Sharepoint, Zoom and public relations-specific resources such as Muckrack. Strong preference for Washington, DC area-based employee. Additional languages are helpful but not required.
Burness offers a competitive salary and benefits package.