Full-Time Energy Management Associate
About the Opportunity: POAH is seeking a Boston-based team member to assist its VP of Design and Building Performance by tracking utility data, identifying high users and anomalies, and addressing high use properties. Representative tasks will include:
- Analyze utility data from across the portfolio to discover conservation opportunities and track the performance of existing conservation projects. Use consumption data, financial projections, and cost analysis to justify energy conservation proposals.
- Work with sites to collect resident utility consumption data when necessary.
- Manage the implementation of energy and water conservation measures across the portfolio.
- Prepare regular reports for the properties on their energy and water consumption, rate changes, and comparisons to utility budgets.
- Maintain integrity of utility data in POAH’s utility database and energy performance tracking tools (Engie, Energy Score Cards, WegoWise, Yardi, Portfolio Manager) and portfolio data related to energy management in PI.
- Monitor performance against Better Climate Challenge (or equivalent) goals.
- Oversee compliance with municipal data utility reporting requirements, where applicable.
- Work with Senior Director of Energy & Capital Projects to update and develop utility budgets for every property.
- Consult with real estate development staff during the due diligence and pre-development stages of property acquisitions to provide utility cost analytics.
- Work with property management staff on operations and maintenance initiatives to figure out what is driving utility usage spikes and to target utility savings.
- Apply for grants and rebates to support conservation efforts.
- Support resident services and other staff on resident energy and building component education initiatives.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Vice President of Design & Building Performance and Director of Energy & Capital Projects.
Experience & Knowledge
- B.A. or B.S. required with emphasis on energy management, equivalent relevant industry experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in energy management or a related field or analytics discipline
- Expert proficiency in use of computers including Microsoft Teams, Outlook, Word and Excel – with understanding of energy systems / analytics and competency in construction / plans / drawings.
Candidates for this position should possess at least 2 years of relevant experience and knowledge in some or all of the following areas:
- Mechanical systems design, building construction, energy efficiency, HVAC, lighting systems, renewable energy systems;
- Utility demand side management programs;
- Utility benchmarking;
- Financial statements (Balance Sheet, Income Statement, etc.) and analysis (NPV, IRR, etc.);
- Statistical Analysis;
- Energy auditing; and
- Customer service principles including needs assessment and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Skills & Abilities
Candidates should have demonstrated ability to:
- Ability to work periodic flexible hours and at times long hours as may be required around special initiatives/ projects.
- Ability to occasionally travel by plane, train and automobile to visit properties, conduct trainings, participate in staff retreats, and/or attend industry conferences or events.
- Ability to deal with stress, manage and motivate people and to meet deadlines and work with extraordinary commitment.
- Ability to understand financial statements and accounting as it relates to apartment operations, development, and complex regulations related to affordable housing.
- Perform occasional physical duties with or without an accommodation including but not limited to accessing boiler rooms, crawl spaces, attics, and other areas relating to building systems and enclosures above and below ground level.
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision life and disability insurances, generous paid time off, 401k with company match, parental leave, and individual employee professional development budget.
Applicants must include cover letter and resume.
POAH is not able to offer sponsorship for this role.
POAH is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workforce.
About the Organization: Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve, create and sustain affordable, healthy homes that support economic security, racial equity and access to opportunity for all. POAH owns and operates more than 13,000 affordable homes at more than 120 properties in 11 states and the District of Columbia. POAH is based in Boston with offices in Chicago and Washington D.C.
POAH’s reach is national in scope, and its pursuit of the preservation mission is empowered by a focus on the business bottom line. Its strong reputation is the result of a demonstrated ability to craft complex financial transactions, tackle tough multi-family projects, and close deals that preserve the affordability of at-risk properties. The organization and its leaders are at the forefront of policy and legislative discussions around housing preservation, affordable housing finance and regulatory reform, including energy efficiency in the multifamily sector.
The POAH team is dedicated, creative and passionate. We believe a diverse and inclusive team is a stronger, smarter team, and we actively promote diversity and meaningful inclusion of different perspectives among our board, our staff, our partners, in our procurement of good and services, and at our communities. We understand that addressing structural racism and achieving racial equity are central to the work we do and we proactively integrate the issue of race in our housing work.