Part-Time Education Instructor
We are looking to hire an enthusiastic and responsible applicant for a part time Educational Instructor and Animal Care position. The dual position includes presenting programs at schools, day cares, adult centers, and community events as well as animal care. Echoes Of Nature is based in Bowie MD and our programs are conducted throughout much of the state. Programs involve presenting live animals and are hands-on with a focus toward helping children and adults to develop awareness, appreciation, and stewardship for the natural world. Presentations would include after school clubs and weekends. There is a strong potential for this position to increase with hours. We do run summer camps at partner locations. At this time, we cannot offer health insurance or other such benefits. We have some flexibility in scheduling hours.
- Teach environmental education programs to groups of school children, scouts, birthday parties, adults and those with special needs. This includes all aspects of programming, including set up, clean up, evaluation, and follow up. Programs take place at off-site locations (client’s location) and possible virtual programs.
- Learn our environmental education curriculum and implement the purpose, goals and objectives of each program.
- Help to develop new programs.
- Prepare and maintain program curriculum materials.
- Create a safe, fun, learning atmosphere for children while projecting a knowledgeable & confident image to parents and teachers.
- Animal care of live animal ambassadors.
- Communicate EON’s mission and project a helpful and positive attitude when interacting with the public, including EON members, teachers, and group leaders in person & on the phone. Position includes some administrative support.
- Bachelor’s degree or pursuing a degree in natural science, environmental education, or related field preferred but not required.
- Experience not required, but prefer at least 1-2 years prior experience in environmental education, outdoor education, or early childhood education.
- Knowledge of and passion for the natural world, with a desire to learn additional natural history information.
- Enthusiasm for working with children.
- Ability to lift and move up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work both independently and on a team with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable handling or learning to handle reptiles, amphibians, mammals, invertebrates and birds of prey (training provided).
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well in front of an audience, on the phone, and in writing.
- Ability to operate common office equipment, a PC and related software. E-mail and internet access in order to check updates and program information on a regular basis.
- Willingness to work irregular hours.
- Currently eligible to work in the USA.
- Valid Driver’s license and reliable car are required.
Permanent, part-time: Salary: Start with $12.75/hour during training period as will be working with animals and the public. Increase to $13/hour.