Internship Editorial Intern
Hours: Approx 20 hours per week (Mon-Thurs)
Dates: Fall semester, approx. 12 weeks
Application deadline: August 9 or when filled (we encourage people to apply early)
Start date: August 30
Reports to: Editor in Chief
Compensation: $70 per week stipend, course credit possible
Green America is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a just and sustainable society by harnessing economic power for positive change. Our unique approach involves working with consumers, investors, and businesses. Our workplace reflects our goal of creating a more socially just, environmentally sustainable economy and world.
Our editorial interns are fully involved in the Green America editorial team. All interns have the opportunity to acquire short published clips and gain exposure to many aspects of magazine publishing. We are looking for an intern with exceptional writing and editing skills, sharp analytic skills, meticulous attention to detail and factual accuracy, and familiarity with Microsoft Office and internet research.
The editorial intern will work on Your Green Life, Powered by Green America. This is a guide to green living and environmentally responsible products and services. The intern will research stories, conduct interviews, and write articles with tips and strategies for green living. The intern may pitch their own stories so the role is suitable for someone who is driven and already cares about environmental and social justice education.
The primary responsibility of our fellows is to assist the Editor in Chief and the Communications Team with the annual Your Green Life guide and the Green American quarterly magazine.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis this internship is planned to be fully remote, though if the Green America offices do reopen this fall, interns are welcome to come in. Applicants must plan to work Eastern Time hours.
Editorial and Writing: Work with Editor in Chief and the Editorial and Communications Teams to create content for our publications and communications.
- Assist with preliminary research and outlining of each publication.
- Pitch and write articles for print publications (80% of the job, approximately)
- Write blog entries and web content as needed.
- Work as part of the editorial team.
- Assist in the fact-checking process for each publication as needed.
- Research and write blog posts about emerging issues related to green businesses and Green America’s mission.
- 1 year+ writing or editing experience
- Experience conducting journalistic interviews.
- Excellent proofreader, familiarity with AP style is a plus
- Great time management and virtual communications skills
- Experience using a CMS (we use Drupal) is a plus
- Passion for green economy, telling stories that incorporate historically under-represented groups, creative thinking.
Green America is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination regarding: actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions, breastfeeding, or reproductive health disorders), age (18 years of age or older), marital status (including domestic partnership and parenthood), personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation, citizenship status, credit information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Harassment on the basis of a protected characteristic is included as a form of discrimination and is strictly prohibited.
How to Apply
- Please e-mail a resume, cover letter, and 2-3 short writing samples (news- or feature-style articles with interviews preferred) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Fall 2021 editorial intern” No phone calls, please.
- Applications submitted through third-party sites (Indeed, LinkedIn, etc) or lacking all the requested materials will not be considered.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405